General question about genuineness of OW & AOW tests in Phuket?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
stevenl:
There is no exception to any test allowed. Also for the IDC, PADI does not monitor the swimtest, that is up to the CD and his staff. PADI monitors the theory exams, General standards, and presentations of confined water, open water and theory development.

I didn't know, thanks for info

Anyone have info about large public swiming in phuket, anywhere even phuket town, but prefered from Kamala to chalong area

Sorry to hear your first experience wasnt what you had expected, its always annoying for people that try so hard or are very keen to have negative feelings at the end of a course / program / dive. Most people would quit now but as you are clearly still making enquiries I guess this marks you out as a 'tryer' So good luck to you, I dont know of any large (non holiday / hotel ) pools in Chalong / kata / Karon but perhaps others have heard of some ?
I was taught to swim as a child and if I dont swim for some time it takes me a few practises to get my technique and distances up again, for me its simply about practise practise practise, remember water is the answer to all life's problems... sweat, tears or the ocean, seems pretty relevant to yourself. Now that its low season in Phuket you are in a strong position to go to any Dive Centre with your story and ask them to get you back in the water, ideally you should be confident in the water and swimming well more than 200m by then but for another Discover program in the pool, you will not need to practise swimming.
Would suggest you only do your DSD on a 1 to 1 basis with an instructor that understands your previous concerns and suggest you do it in a pool also.

Diver_City Boys:
stevenl:
Discover Scuba Diving does not have to be done at a pool, the description is 'Confined Water', so also open water with pool like conditions regarding depth, current, visibility etc. is allowed. A pool is easier for a lot of people, but not required
Are you saying a person never dived, shouldn't be taken to swimming pool before going to somewhere like Racha-yai? i don't believe so, simply many dive outfit don't like to do it because of the cost and time consumption for doing doing extra day Swimming pool training

Normally its a decision to either do the Discover Scuba Diving Program in the Pool or Confined Open Water (not both) and in Phuket Confined Open water is always at Racha Yai, for its ideal conditions (or on a Phuket beach) Would have no hesitation to do a pool DSD then a Confined Open Water DSD just to ensure the dive student is happy and confident and the instructor can see that .

Good luck

Diver_City Boys:
Anyone have info about large public swiming in phuket, anywhere even phuket town, but prefered from Kamala to chalong area

There's a good clean large swimming pool on the road from Ao Chalong to Phuket. The name of the pool is "kit-salai" and its open 7 days a week and cost only 25 Baht per visit.
Start at the round-about in Ao Chalong and take the road to Phuket Town that's leading along the Chalong Police Station. Just keep going for a few kilometers until on your left hand side you pass a large teakwood furniture shop. Now slow down a bit and do another few hundred meters while carefully watching the right side of the road. "Kit-salai" swimming pool is located on the right side of the road in combination with a spa and surrounded by some coconut and other trees.
Best times to visit are either mornings or late afternoons (not many people). Saturdays and sundays can be fairly crowded with Thai kids but most of them stay in the very shallow part of the pool.

orangelemo:
.....Would have no hesitation to do a pool DSD then a Confined Open Water DSD just to ensure the dive student is happy and confident and the instructor can see that .

Good luck

The part that makes sense to me and any beginner

Bowmouth:
There's a good clean large swimming pool on the road from Ao Chalong to Phuket. The name of the pool is "kit-salai" and its open 7 days a week and cost only 25 Baht per visit.
Start at the round-about in Ao Chalong and take the road to Phuket Town that's leading along the Chalong Police Station. Just keep going for a few kilometers until on your left hand side you pass a large teakwood furniture shop. Now slow down a bit and do another few hundred meters while carefully watching the right side of the road. "Kit-salai" swimming pool is located on the right side of the road in combination with a spa and surrounded by some coconut and other trees.
Best times to visit are either mornings or late afternoons (not many people). Saturdays and sundays can be fairly crowded with Thai kids but most of them stay in the very shallow part of the pool.

Where would be closest place to it to live? Is it closer to phuket town?
Is it 25 meter or 50 meters and how deep it is?I like doing some free diving

I know a place in patong at Soi San-sabai, deep inside to the left side, they have
20 meters public swiming pool, charged 70 baht where thet served food and drinks also

I used to go 7 days there before returning to dubai, but didn't like it since deepest
point is 1.40 meters only and got crowded noon times, couldn't go morning because water was cold and believe didn't use hitting temprature

By the sounds of it the pool is pretty close to Chalong, now heres an offer, I have previously taught swimming (disabled kids) and would be able to help you get swimming if you want to do it at that pool as its not far from where I live and would give me an excuse to get out and get some more exercise also. So if you fancy a regular swimming lesson / session / practise then I would be glad to meet up with you there anytime you fancy

James

jamesb@dive-community.com

Diver_City Boys:
Where would be closest place to it to live? Is it closer to phuket town?
Is it 25 meter or 50 meters and how deep it is?I like doing some free diving

Sorry for my late response; I've been off-line for a few days.

It's only 10 minutes on a motorbike from Ao Chalong and about 20 minutes from Phuket Town.
The pool is a 25 meter pool and the deep end is about 2.5 meter.

Just checked the price again; it's 40 baht for adults and 25 Baht for kids.

Thanks orangelemon and bowmouth for your reponsiveness. I 'll be coming to phuket
in next two months, and will follow up in this thread for futher advice

Hi,

I finished my OW in samui last month, i can swim 2000 meters today no problem,
I am planing to go 400 meters in less then 8 minutes, how fast you have to go to
score 5 points?

-Also wanted to know if snorkle 800 meters done in large swiming pool or sea?
-if it's in the sea, how they keep track of that distance?
-how fast to go to score 5 points for 800 meters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom