general digital camera question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, I could print it at home and the color was just about the same as I saw on the computer. Unfortunately my Canon printer did not survive the journey well when I moved from the US back to Thailand so it had a little trouble with photo mode (but text and graph mode worked fine). I think I will need to buy a new printer soon as I now have pretty good series of pictures that I would like to make into a coffee table album, framed etc.

My pictures always turn out darker than what I'm seeing on the screen. There's also strange clumps of colors in the picture. You know when you use auto fix and it goes really hinky? The white sand or light colored coral may have green or red spots in it. And the prints never look as sharp in print as they do on the screen.

I've tried that Adobe Gamma thing on my monitor but I don't think it helped. I'm sure most of it is my old HP 712C Deskjet. It's supposed to have something called Kodak Image Enhancement included, whatever that is. But the few pictures I have printed, I can tell takes alot of ink and expensive paper. I'm totally happy taking a CD somewhere to have them printed! Since my printer does everything else very well, I'd rather spend that money on a new lens!

Dee, depending on the printers, sometimes you do have to calibrate your printer as well to get similar result to what you see on the computer. However I have absolutely no idea how to do that. I saw a few books on amazon.com about printing digital image/calibration etc which I am tempted to get since I can't seem to get good developers here yet.
I know I already have macro/WAL/dome port thingy but after reading digitaldiver.net about stacking macro lens, I am very tempted :) It seems like my shopping list will continue to grow faster than I can shorten it.:(

Thanks Finesse,

I'm glad you've had good luck at Costco. I have too except the last time I went in they had gotten a new machine and the results were not good for images that had been cropped. Anything right out of the camera worked fine. I've haven't had a chance to get back since and I think it's a matter of training on their part, but I'll check it out shortly. Otherwise I've been very pleased and it the least expensive alternative I've found. Of course for me its still the Price Club.
TedJ

PS If I knew how to use the little smilie faces I would.

Ted smilies to the left when you compose your response .....just click on the one you want....

The cropping bit ..... The photo staff at the place I went was fantastic ...... they printed several pictures over as they felt they had not aligned properly...... She even went through my 5x7 stack and re-did one of those pictures. Hope they didn't change that machine :wacko:

Yes ... their prices are almost impossible to beat .....and large stuff ..... at the local photoshop and 8x10 is around $10-$11 Costco ....I think $1.99 ....how can you beat that !!! :)

Well let me try this :) :)
Am I only supposed to see a colon and a right hand paren as I compose after clicking on the smiling face?

Edit: It worked. Even I can still learn in spite of Dee wondering about my memory! Thanks Finesse

ssra30 once bubbled...
Dee, depending on the printers, sometimes you do have to calibrate your printer as well to get similar result to what you see on the computer. However I have absolutely no idea how to do that. ...... It seems like my shopping list will continue to grow faster than I can shorten it.:(

I have no clue how to do that, either! I've looked through the 'manual' bit in reality it's way more hassle than just burning a CD and taking it to be printed! If I didn't have that option, I'd be more serious about finding an answer.

Yeah...I wish I hadn't read about stacking macro lenses. I'm also reading there are problems with focusing them so I haven't absoluely added them to my shopping list. You go first! :eek:ut:

Go to http://www.ofoto.com

You can upload your pics to them and they will print them and mail them to you. Costs around 50 cents for 4x6 prints, $1 for 5x7s, etc. Shipping is cheap. Kodak owns ofoto so it's not some b.s. joint. I've used them a bunch and have been extremely satisfied.

Dee once bubbled...

Yeah...I wish I hadn't read about stacking macro lenses. I'm also reading there are problems with focusing them so I haven't absoluely added them to my shopping list. You go first! :eek:ut:

I think I will give it a try. In a process of hinting to a friend that I might need to burrow his macro lens for a little experiment when I go to the Philippines at the end of November, Apo island/Dumaguette to be exact. I heard that macro is very good over there. If it works out, I am sure I will end up buying one since I will have some opportunities to take pictures of pygmy seahorse next year on one of my planned trip :)

Good! My next trip isn't until the CCV/Roatan trip in April so you'll have plenty of time to test it. :wink: Whatever you do get it worked out for those Pigmy Seahorses. Have you seen the ones posted on DD? Amazing!

Back
Top Bottom