Gearing Up!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hanz

Registered
Reaction score
Im a newer diver and would like opinions on what B.C. Reg, Wrist mount Nitrox capable computer, I should purchase purchase. Im 6-0 190lbs, dive up to a 7 mm wet suit with 22 lbs weight, in as cold as 40 degree water, use aluminum tanks and stay within the 100' depth mark. I may start diving a dry suit and high pressure steel tank in the future however. Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

I use the Halcyon 6lb SS backplate with 36lb wing and Oceanic DataPlus nitrox-capable computer. My regs are Scubapro Mk20/G250 and Apeks DS4/ATX50. No major complaints so far, but the Apeks regs are fairly new......

I dive with the Scubapro "Glide Plus" intergraded weight system.. the Scubapro "MK25/600 Regulator and the Uwatec Aladin Pro Nitrox computer. No problems at all from all this plus I dive with a steel 120 tank.

Rich:mean:

I currently use a Apeks TX 100 reg with a tx40 octo. A older used Mares dragonfly weight intergrated BC. And a Mares M1 dive computer nitro capable wrist mount. I like this setup but I'm thinking about getting a backplate with wings soon.:D

If you are diving in colder waters, the only choice is the Mares Abyss. Tested under the ice in Canada, it is the most reliable period. Other regs. are good or even great, but we have seen the least failure rate with the Abyss, and let me tell you, under the ice is like one big cave. No place to surface, no way out, except for one small hole. As far as a BCD, it's really a personal choice. A few people on this board are into cave diving and advocate a back plate and wings. Nice setup, but not the only setup. I prefer a BCD with weight integration myself. Shop around, try on a few BCD's, compare the fit. If possible, rent the models you are looking at for at least 2 - 4 dives each. As for dive computers, I tend to stick with Suunto. Again, it came down to a personal choice, but if you start down the road with computers, soon you'll be upgrading ever year or two. Then it's a sure sign that your really hooked on the sport!

On a final note, take your time, don't rush the purchase. The last thing you want is a basement full of good gear, that you never intend on using.

Hanz,
Except for the degree of cold water (I normally dive in 55 F degree water), my dive profile & weight looks much like yours. I just bought an Oceanic Chute 2 B.C., and have been very happy with it. I also managed to find it on a discount because Oceanic has started to manufacture a newer model.

-Todd.

Hey Hanz, I only know what I use... Poseidon tech lift bc, sherwood maximus reg and suunto stinger comp. No problems so far. I've dived down to 14 C or 57 F.

Everyone seems to be leading you to integrated BCs. I did not like the integrated for cold water diving. Especially with a steel tank, that is way to much weight to be slinging around on a BC. I'd say get a separate weight belt even if you buy a BC with weight pockets. 5mm gloves may not even be enough for 40F; you may need those mittens with the thumb & forefinger separated.

Weight integrated BC's are an over priced pain in the ass. :)

You need some sort of trim weights, of the 22 lbs, you probably will need to stick about 8 of that up near the top of your tank. The rest goes on a nice belt. I personaly use uncoated lead.. its cheap, easy and simple.

On a charter last week a womman (about 5'10", 150lbs) asked me to hand her her BC.. with tank and integrated weights that thing must have weighed a good 70 lbs.

I have a Beuchat VX 10 Iceberg edition with a Oceanic Chute II weight integrated BC that I only keep a little weight in and use a small weight belt up high on the tank to keep my trim correct. The Beuchat works great, I've had it to 38F with no problem. Just make sure you use the same 2nd stage for your safe second or it'll freeze up fast...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom