Gear tips for short guys?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KiltedOne

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Just wondering if theres any gear must haves or don't bother trying for anyone around 5'4".

Last edited:
I probably wouldn't buy anything extra large.

Seriously though, I too am vertically challenged and although I need custom wet suits and dry suits I've not encountered any issues other than trying to keep up with young Greek Adonis DMs on liveaboards.

Oh and have had issues finding masks, boots and fins that I both like and that actually fit me. FTR I use an Atomic frameless mask in a medium and medium DR XT fins with 6.5mm wet boots.

Assuming you have small feet too I'd stay away from jets Large and under as the blade is tiny. If you want heavy rubber fins I'd recommend the Mares Power Planas as they come in a small but the blade size is significantly larger than a L size jet.

@buddhasummer, where are you getting your custom wetsuits from?

Seaquel Wetsuits in New Zealand, I'm an Expat Kiwi living in Japan. Not much help to you I'm guessing.

Depends how much I love my sister. She's an expat Yankee living in Auckland. I suppose I could go visit, but I'm sure I'll want to do some diving first.

I'll take a look at them. Thanks for sharing.

I got my full custom 3 mil from Wetwear in Florida.

Thanks, Jim. I've been told good things about Wetwear and read some not so great things as well. Also have heard about 7till8.com out in California. I just want something that will fit and do the job. Off the rack doesn't cut it for me for dress suits and won't cut it for wetsuits.

Depends how much I love my sister. She's an expat Yankee living in Auckland. I suppose I could go visit, but I'm sure I'll want to do some diving first.

I'll take a look at them. Thanks for sharing.

They make great suits using, ironically, using Japanese Yamamoto neoprene. If you can get one from them I'd recommend it. They made me a two piece 7mm step through with hood and it's still going strong, although starting to show it's age, 7 years ago. They make suits for the NZ navy and other agencies. They have a sterling reputation.

Back
Top Bottom