Gear Rental Prices?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Greenman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Can anyone help me find out what gear rental prices are like in the major dive areas of Thailand?

I'm going to be in the country for three weeks in December and January and I'm looking forward to doing a lot of diving while I'm there. I only own a mask, fins, and a snorkel, and I'm exploring three options for my trip:

1. Buy a BCD, reg, octo (and maybe a wetsuit) package here and take it with me.
2. Buy the gear in Thailand when I get there.
3. Rent in Thailand.

Money is an imporant concern, especially the break-even point between buying and renting.

I'll be in Chile for eight weeks after my trip to Thailand, and I'm hoping to do some diving there as well. That means that any gear I buy needs to be versatile enough for both the tropics and the cold waters off of Chile.

Please post rental prices for a complete outfit, minus the fins snorkel and mask, whatever shops you know them for.

Thanks in advance for helping.
Greenman

Bring your mask/fin with you and rent the other gear as you dive. All of the dive stores in Thailand will provide gear if required when you book a LOB or day trip. The gear provided are usually in good condition but it is your responsibility to check. Rental prices vary from shop to shop.

If you plan to dive a lot, consider purchasing a wetsuit in Thailand. Phuket has some lovely custom wetsuit manufacturers. However a 3mm wetsuit used in Thailand may not be enough for the cold waters in Chile.

The prices of the other gear like BP/W or BCD, reg, dive PCs here in Asia may not be as competitive as the US and you may miss out on US warranties/support.

I am going to Thailand for a month in December, and my brother says that all I don't need to bring anything to scuba. he says that you can rent everything there. I told him that I would just bring my mask and booties. He said that is fine. That is the summer in December, and it is hot and humid. No wetsuit is needed. Rent everything once you get there. Very little money is needed there. Just a smile.
Email me if you have any other questions, and I will ask my bro who is a master diver and hanging out in Thailand right now.

the average price for a full set of rental gear is about 500 baht a day or US$13

For another example we charge 600 baht per day for equipment rental. Usually mask fins and snorkel are included in the 600 baht cost - so if you bring your own - with us - there is no reduction in the cost as they break down of renting a BCD, regs and wetsuit amounts to 600 baht. This does not apply to all DC's in Thailand.

Our shop on Koh Samui charges 500,-Baht per day for a full set, but we have the same breakdown as Ringo, so no discount for bringing your own fins, mask and snorkel.

Greenman:
That means that any gear I buy needs to be versatile enough for both the tropics and the cold waters off of Chile.
Since nobody else is addressing this question and I am the only cold water diver to respond to this thread, I thought I'd toss in some information.

Regulator for cold water should be an environentally sealed reg. I prefer the Zeagle regs myself, but there are many choices. Any reg that works well in cold water will work well in warm water, but not the other way around.

As for buying a wetsuit, I'd rent one unless you are going to be doing a bunch of cold water diving in the future.

When fitting your mask, do not suck it onto your face by inhaling through your nose. Simply hold your breath and very gently press the mask onto your face. It should stay in place with no extra force.

Overall gear wise, my advice is to have your own mask and reg. Others will disagree. Remember, that reg is your life support system and is only as good as the last person that worked on it. I've seen some dive ops that no way would I use one of their rental regs. I've also seen some dive ops that take excellent care of their gear.

Just my .02 worth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom