Gear questions- looking forward to tech

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the halcyon is a BP&W setup, the only difference is the cinch system(which I may take off....one side is slipping during donning, one is not) and a little shoulder padding(which is removable, but will stay on for now, we're hoofing gear long distance with no suits atm...).

I have to acquire a regulator(my current setup is borrowed, and I dive 3-4 times a week in training dives atm), and a computer, I'm just trying to make...usable choices for the future. I'd prefer not to by the same thing 3 or 4 times for no reason.

I have to acquire a regulator(my current setup is borrowed, and I dive 3-4 times a week in training dives atm), and a computer, I'm just trying to make...usable choices for the future. I'd prefer not to by the same thing 3 or 4 times for no reason.
Yep--that's why you want to select an instructor and get good advice from the person who willl be teaching you.

exposure- the OSTC computer you're talking about is the 2n? not familiar with that one.

I'm actually having trouble getting any tech instructors in texas to respond. I'm disappointed after a couple of contact emails I've heard nothing...

Dump the DC, buy deco software and dive of slates.

I know this is a too oft asked and repeated topic, but bear with me, I promise this will be pointed and specific.

I am looking forward in the next few months taking a step into the tech world, probably starting simply with nitrox and a doubles class. I'm still using borrowed gear for some of my diving at this point in time, and need to get my own equipment.

The two SPECIFIC things I'd like to make sure that, going forward, are going to be compatible are my computer and regulator set.

I'm looking at the hog environmentally sealed units. They seem to be an excellent ROI and up to par with significantly more expensive gear. They're also user serviceable, and that interests me as well

The computer I've got in my mind I want is the shearwater predator. It appears to be an EXCELLENT computer, can be used with CCR, and has all the functions that I've seen listed as desirable for trimix etc.

Thanks for your input, Cory

Cory:

For what it is worth, I discourage new tech divers from investing in a computer at all. Perhaps when and if one decides to follow the CCR path, a top-end PDC is an option, but when learning the ropes of ascent behavior and decompression procedures, I have found that a computer gets in the way of rapid learning.

I believe the majority of experienced tech instructors have similar views on the topic. Use the money for other gear or better yet, to take a week off and dive someplace on your to-do list.

exposure- the OSTC computer you're talking about is the 2n? not familiar with that one.

I'm actually having trouble getting any tech instructors in texas to respond. I'm disappointed after a couple of contact emails I've heard nothing...

Yes OSTC MK2N (HW).

Sorry to sidebar on your thread txaggie, but Just my thoughts on PSD

I've been doing PSD work for about 3 years (granted not a long time) We all wear dive computers, but never really use or rely on them (sometimes the ascent rate alarm comes in handy) It's more of a "why not" thing, than actual dive thing. You typically can't even see them to read them anyway. . And if you can't read it, and the people up top aren't using tables, then who knows when your time is up?
We like tables for the extra built in safety factor (I'd consider MOST of our dives pretty exhausting, (hard work, stress, cold, current, black), so you can always float back a letter group. Plus it's less to fail and prevent you from getting back in the water. Our SOG's require a stenographer as part of a dive team (and is especially important with any evidance recovery) so keeping track of letter groups and all that jazz isn't an issue.

Our Sog's also usually limit depth (unless there is a definite position of the "object") and bottom time (USUALLY no more than 20 min at a time due to fatigue of, not only attention level in black water, but of your body in such a testing environment, and your air supply when working so hard.)

Not to hijack, but for PSD work an analog gauge with a clearly visible, glow in the dark needle works best for me, in zero viz. You light it up, put it against your mask and find the needle and it's orientation. You probably can't read the numbers, but should have a good idea where your pressure is in relation to the needles position.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread...

I'm by no means qualified to add a comment with any weight to this thread, but I've been doing a little bit of research, particularly the OSTC 2 which has open source firmware and the company provides downloadable updates to the computer's software. I don't know if this is common for tech computers, but wouldn't that mean that an investment now would save you money in the long run? What I mean is instead of buying a middle of the line one now (before txaggie starts his tech) and having to upgrade to a completely new computer down the road, the Shearwater or OSTC will cover his current needs and be ready for use when he's ready for the extra functions.

I'm by no means qualified to add a comment with any weight to this thread...

Your input and questions are always welcome regardless of your experience... that's what this forum is for.

The most important point for you to consider is that a computer is NOT NEEDED at the OP's level of experience and training. Far better to learn how to think rather than how to read.

Also, technical diving is team diving and when a team of divers (three is considered the basic team format) ascends they should follow the EXACTLY the same profile/schedule. Using a PDCs more often than not makes this difficult to impossible... unless the ascent suggested by the computers is ignored and tables (or the most conservative computer) are followed: which reduces a PDC to becoming a very expensive bottom-timer. Far better at this point to ignore the temptation of a bright shiny new toy and focus on learning about decompression and ascent behavior.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom