Gear purchase, got a list, looking for advice, new diver!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AaronRiot

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey guys,

So the last while I've been looking into dive gear, however, as a new diver, equipment description are all I can go on...which isn't much compared to real world experience.

My intention is to travel a lot for the next 4-5 years, and dive as regularly as possible during the trips, at home, and after when I settle back down...wherever that may be. I currently live in Ontario Canada so gear that is usable in temperate water is a must. The type of diving I'm interested in, hmm, well I would like to try a bit of everything and see how things go.

Yesterday I went to a local dive shop and got a quote, here is the list:

Apeks XTX200 Yoke w/ Eagress Octo.

Apeks 3 gauge Console

Oceanic Geo Computer

Zeagle Stiletto BCD

UK SL3 eLED (125 Lumens)

And a Bare 3mm suit (I'll get a thicker one for up here) and one of those Trilobite line cutters.

Alright, so, I'm not sure if some of these are overkill, or not quite as good as I should have, or maybe I should look into a different brand of this or that? I am especially unsure about the Reg and Computer and the Light (strength-wise). I really would like the set to last me at least the 4-5 years without needing any major upgrades.

Any and all advice is GREATLY appreciated! Thank you in advance for taking the time to respond and help me out :)

Aaron.

On a side note, I would like to list the price to see if I'm getting a good deal, however I'm not sure if it's cool to do that on this board?

You can list prices here. If you are going with a geo you do not need a 3 gauge console. Get a simple spg and a wrist compass. The xtx 200 is a good reg but you don't need to spend that much on a quality reg. A less expensive one will be just as good. Get an octo that is the same as your primary. You may be the one breathing off of it. I would also recommend you try a few items before buying.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

I'm with Jim -- if you are going to use a wrist computer anyway, skip the console, get a simple pressure gauge and a compass you can put on your other wrist.

For your water at home, that light's kind of small. It will serve as an adequate backup light, in that you can use it for signaling, but you won't see very much using it. For night diving in the tropics, it will be fine.

Where do you see your diving going in the future? Will it only be on vacation in warm water. With that asked, I would still consider the following.

Apeks are well known and will also last you way more than 5 years with proper care. Consider getting a 2nd regulator similar to you primary or the XTX50 and wear them in a long hose/short hose config. Not the Egress. Also DIN with a yoke adapter (for the tropics). No worries about you head hitting the 1st stage with use of the adapter. Just turn the tank a little to allow the din to face off center when attaching to your bcd.

Consider just getting an spg and clipping to your left side using a 24" hp hose and running it under your left arm clipped to your chest d-ring for easy viewing during your dive. What ever works for you.

The GEO is nice but consider it's bigger cousin VEO 3. You can use this in gauge mode as you grow and start looking at the shearwater/Liquivision. I wish they would add the option of keeping the smartglo active after say 60feet. But for now you will need to push a button (10 seconds max) when not enough light or use your flash light. Wrist mount is the way to go. So easy to see and keep in trim.

A standard SS back plate wing with STA will last you forever and will grow with you moving on to more advanced diving (Halcyon, Hollis among others). Attach two trim pockets, one on each side of the lower cam keeping them close to the plate. Just replace the webbing if it ever wears out and wing for doubles. Proper weighting in very important in so many ways (air consumption, buoyancy, etc.)

Lighting...changes as technology grows. Consider this as something you may review every 5 years. But as others said, this will be a back up. I'm still using 21wt HID.

Have you considered a drysuit? Buying a properly sized trilam suit with proper undergarments like Fourth Element will allow you to dive all year round and will be the only suit you will need (IMHO). I dive my Santi E-Lite in all water temps. When the water is warm (80's f)I just wear a drybase under my Santi. It's like wearing a 3mm. I would tryout both the Santi and DUI Flx-Extreme. Yes they are expensive but they have cheaper models. The Santi seam construction are top shelf across all their suits.

Check out this link for further info.
Equipment Configuration | Global Underwater Explorers

I feel this will be a great foundation that will grow with you. Buy correctly the first time.

Assuming you're paying about $55 US for the SL3, you might want to look into one of the Cree Q4 LED alternatives. I have the Dorcy - actually 2 of them - they're aluminum, double the light output of the SL3. From Dorcy they're $65 but Piranha sells the same light for $43. Penetrater 220 ******One left right now******, Piranha Dive Manufacturing Intova makes several models also - here's one: Tovatec By Intova IFL660 220 Lumens Torch

I'd make sure that whatever reg set you buy can be serviced in the areas you plan to travel to. Apeks might not be the best choice for that reason. Although IDK if all Aqualung dealers also service Apeks.

Nice thing about a Stiletto is that it will fit into an airline approved carry-on bag. When I had mine, I had one of those roller bags and it fit with room to spare.

Zeagle also sells the Express Tech which is even more minimal for travel, lighter weight, but it may not have enough lift for your cold water diving. Express Tech - Backplate BCs - BCs - Zeagle Dive Systems It weighs about 2 lbs. less than the Stiletto. You can also add the 35lb. wing, all Zeagles are modular.

Thank you all, the advice so far has been exceedingly helpful.

Alright, so I'm going to look into the larger light for sure.

Octo-wise I will get a twin to my second stage or something very similar.

I really like the gauge advice, and will go with a SPG and wrist compass. I'm also going to reseach the VEO 3 and perhaps switch computers.

As for the DIN with a yoke adapter, I will look into this as well, and should probably try it out just to be on the safe side? For the back of my head's sake..

The backplate and wing.. I went in looking for one of these without much knowledge about them and only reading a lot of positive reviews, however, when I asked I was told not to worry about this type of BC as it was for TEC divers?

Drysuits, I am definitely going to look into the ones you mentioned, as of right now my drysuit knowledge is pretty much non-existent.

A couple more questions..

Shopping for the best price online VS going to the local shop... thoughts?
And looking in the classifieds for very slightly used gear, I see ads with "only 10 dives on this" ect. ...a strong consideration or am I rolling the dice?

The package I originally listed came to 2350 tax in...

ddmattos - I will have a look at the link, and I fully agree about doing things right the first time. Where do I see myself going? Well first I want to build a strong foundation in rec diving, and I'd like to experience as many different locations as possible From BC to Asia to the Carribean, the Red Sea, Australia, California, etc etc. I prefer marine life over wrecks, however I am very interested in both. I really like the idea of cave diving. I also really like the idea of going very deep - extremes attract me - but without having reached rec limits as of yet I don't know if rec will be enough. Rec is certainly enough for now as I would never dream of moving into Tec without years of experience underwater. Safety and comfort are paramount at all times.

Thanks again to everyone so far, and in advance :)

Steve is right on the Express Tech. A great travel BC and you can switch out the wings. I had the stanadard one with 24lbs of lift I believe and replaced it with the 35lb wing since I often will use it will heavy steel 95's. I don't know what you are paying for the Apeks regs but I sell HOG and ship to Canada via USPS. Not as widely known world wide but that is changing and since users can buy the service kits, you can take a kit for the reg with you and any competent tech can service it. I went with them before I became a dealer because of this and because of the two year rebuild they recommend.

Diversteve - thank you for the advice as well!

I will have a look at the light, as well as the BC, size was one thing that is important to me in a BC bc I'm not a big guy (~5'7 and wirey). I had a bulky BCD for my open water and found myself swimming in it - pardon my pun. When I tried on the stiletto it was snug and not overly bulky which I liked. This was why I was originally looking into the wings as well, aside from other features they look quite streamlined.

Jim, the reg is 799, and I had never thought about the servicing abroad factor. I assume this is very important, and I like the Hog idea where you can bring the tools. Is there or are there brands that are known for their worldwide use/serviceability?

On a side note, I have read a number of very positive Hog reviews on this site, but I remember something about them only coming with the DIN as of right now?

Dude, BPW's are not only for tech divers. This is a line that shops who do not know how to set them up and most likely also do not sell them use. They tend to be less expensive than many "standard" BC's and do not have as high of a mark up in most cases unless you go for some of the "big name"(read overpriced pay for the name) brands that if you really look at them are not as well designed for function as they are for flash. They have too many d rings, unnecessary padding, or features really not needed. As such they do not make as much profit and use the "only for tech divers", "will push you face down into the water", "are not for new divers", etc. lines of crap that they use to talk you into something else.

I train new divers in BPW's and similar setups like the Express Tech and highly recommend these to new Open Water divers. Less cash outlay for gear leaves more for diving. And these types of BC's will grow with you as your diving progresses and in the physical sense as well. Many times when you buy a "standard" BC you need to try and fit into a mfg's idea of what size you are or should be. With a BPW or the Express Tech that is not true. You set the unit up to fit you and once it does it is that way every time. You may need to make small adjustments when you change suits or allow your middle to grow.

But rather than have to replace the whole BC you just let out a little of the webbing or if you marry a great cook replace the webbing. Total cost of around $15.00. They also hold their value better than a std BC. If you decide to sell a used jacket BC I tell people they will be lucky to get a 1/3 of what they paid for it. Buy a steel plate for 85.00 and you can sell it 3 years later for 75. Or more to the right person. A wing in decent shape will often bring 75% of it's original price. It is just a better value all the way around IMO and a more logical choice if you plan to become a regular diver.

Finally a BPW will pack better than most any type of std BC since you can break it down into it's component parts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom