Gear longevity

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WillieJustice

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
As a relatively new diver, I am buying gear. Never mind how fancy and expensive, is there any rule of thumb for how long various things last? I assume whatever I buy will last as long as I do (I am 64 for what that is worth).

I dive in salt water, both cold locally and warm traveling. Cleaning and maintenance aside, what wears out? The goal is to buy gear that lasts 20 years or more, since I plan to keep diving for as long as possible.

What will be an issue in five years or ten years? Or longer?

Most gear that you buy today will outlive you.

My "new" regulators are 15 years old. Im still using some that are 30 years old, can still be serviced and still perform well. Others on this board still use regs that are even older.

My drysuit is 17 years old and still going strong.

BC is most likely to be replaced if you don't choose wisely. An all-in-one jacket style BC will likely be superceded and possibly unrepairable (or very difficult to repair) depending on model. A modular option like a back plate and wing will last forever, is relatively easy to repair, or replace broken components.

That said, I still have a 20 year old SeaQuest BC which I've taken good care of, and as is still in excellent condition.

Wetsuits can stretch and fray, I go through gloves and boots every 3-4 years. A good mask should last years provided you don't drop a tank on it.
These days my masks last until I need to update my prescription 😂

What wears out the fastest?

Gloves, booties and wetsuits. In that order

If properly maintained most of the rest can last for the remainder of your diving career, even if it was used when you obtained it.

I dive in salt water, both cold locally and warm traveling. Cleaning and maintenance aside, what wears out? The goal is to buy gear that lasts 20 years or more, since I plan to keep diving for as long as possible.

What will be an issue in five years or ten years? Or longer?
With appropriate maintenance, the gear will last. As stated, soft things that you wear will wear out and need to be replaced at some point. There is no reason to think the other stuff will need replacement any time soon.

A couple data points. My daughter is 19. Her regulator is older than she is. Her BC is 9 years old. Her computer is somewhere between the two. They all still look and function fine.

Thanks. I was more curious than anything. It all makes perfect sense to me. The goal is to maintain everything and keep it serviced so I don't need to think about it. It sounds like neoprene wears more than other materials. That is another point in favor of a membrane drysuit instead of neoprene.

The first thing that shows signs of wear is the nylon used on BCDs. This is especially evident when diving in saltwater as it dry rots the nylon. Dunking your gear in freshwater helps, but every so often it's good practice to spray it down with food grade silicone spray to minimize dry rot.

Ultimately your gear will last a very long time if you freshwater dunk your gear. Freshwater flush your bladder, soak metal components, like inflator valves, in a mild vinegar and water solution followed by a freshwater rinse, and stay up to date on computer and regulator service. Hoses are consumable and will need to be replaced after 5 to 10 years.

A plate (hard or soft) and wing style BC has the distinct advantage of having individual components to create the system and therefore allows for the replacement of each part separately as needed rather than a vest style BC that is all in one.

My pony reg set is from the 90s or early 2000s. My primary 2nd stage is early 2000s. My 1st stage was same era until I replaced it with a better model from the early teens, but new in box last year. Computer is 5 years old.

Gear won't go bad unless it's a consumable (anything neoprene will deteriorate and be less buoyant), exposed to excessive UV, or is abused. Get quality new or 2nd hand gear, take care of it, and go diving.

I replaced my Halcyon wing last fall after 16 years when it began to fray around the inflator elbow, but it was probably more of a cosmetic issue than anything else.

How about wrist and neck seals on dry suits ? I replaced mine 7 years ago and only used the suit once. It has been stored inside and all coated with talc. They are very soft and stretchy still but what is your experience on logevity ?
Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom