Gear insurance for theft/ flooding for Canadians?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CoralKisser

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
This is directed to other Canadians in particular. Is there an insurance company, broker etc that insures underwater housings/gear and your camera against theft (while traveling if you HAVE to check some baggage for example) and against flooding?
Im looking for the same insurance that people in the US can get through DAN for all their gear. For some ODD reason Canadians cannot purchase this insurance.

https://www.h2oinsurance.com/

Us Canucks have it hard. But....it's a factor of size, we're just not large enough compared to Americans...

...uh oh, pun alert...

I meant population size of course. However, my "home" insurance will cover theft/flooding if I pay their "extra". Over 3 years, will cost more than the depreciation of current model.

Example, my Nikon D90 bought in 2009, "made" in 2008, had I insured it two years ago, and something "bad" happens next summer, the total paid over 4 years is more than what a Nikon D90 will be worth in July 2012.
Assuming you can get another D90 refurb.

As indicated above, you can insure almost anything under your home owners contents policy. For special high value items you will likely need to pay extra and provide specific details (i.e. model & serial #). Smaller value items are covered automatically. You also have the option of insuring for current or replacement value (which affects the premium). This will cover your articles full time (not just on dive trips).
I specifically insure my scuba camera equipment for "all perils" & have used the insurance once (that's when i learned that i should have included sales tax in the "replacement value" of the item). The all perils is basically stupidity insurance and covers every type of loss (including tossing it off the boat on purpose!)
The rest of my scuba gear (& hockey gear & curling gear & ...) is covered under my general home owners contents plan at no extra cost.

Unlike Mark, my experience with premium cost is very low and hence makes sense to insure. YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom