gear configuration advise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divetheworld

Registered
Reaction score
By achieving a configuration which is streamlined and comfortable to dive with, the diver has minimum stress, task loading and thus improved gas/air consumption. Please pay attention to the fact that simplicity can be applied to more than the physical quantity or type of equipment, it can apply to its use too. Consider the following possible problem- deployment of a stuffed hose in an out of air situation. Try explaining to a dive buddy how you will achieve the task in question, if its too complex it may not work when you need it to,
can you describe your action(s) to solve a problem in one sentence: if not, it will not work under water.

I was once told this -

"To evaluate the risks of underwater exploration, we start by evaluating ourselves. We do this by leveraging the "theory of pie." A pie is a metaphor for a diver's maximum problem-solving potential. As he preps for a dive and descends into a dive, the diver loses a slice of pie with each distraction or setback. An O-ring blows while he's gearing up, and he has to stop and change it: Take away a slice. He accidentally sets his tanks down on a dive light and cracks it: There goes another slice. If he loses too many slices, the diver must quit: He must call the dive. If he doesn't -- if he makes the dive with just half a pie -- he won't have all of the mental resources that he needs to deal with a real underwater emergency. "

dive safe and often!

Originally posted by divetheworld
can you describe your action(s) to solve a problem in one sentence: if not, it will not work under water.

I was once told this -
The pie story had eight sentences...

I like:

"Three strikes and you're out."

But as long as you go UW with all of your above water problems solved (let's say a new o-ring installed) why should it bother you UW?

I guess that as long as you figured out everything you had to deal with above water, its time to reconcentrate and go diving.

Ari :)

Back
Top Bottom