Gear bag recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brandnew

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm new to the world of diving and was wondering what would be a good bag to haul my gear around in. I'm looking for one that will be good for everything ranging from driving to local dives for a day or weekend to flying to the other side of the world.

I'll be carrying
A 7mm wetsuit (plan for having to take it everywere so I don't get a bag too small)
BC
reg/octo
and of course mask, fins, snorkel
hood
gloves
"small stuff" such as lights

I'm sure the LDS would love to sell me a nice expensive bag for this. Are these bags worth the extra money? What size of bag should I be looking at?

Ernest

Here is a bag I use to carry my gear around in
NRS Purest Mesh Duffel Bag
It wouldn't be great for airlines etc. but for the price and durability it works great. I have two sizes and originally used them for my kayak gear and thought they would be great for my dive gear. They are!

I just bought a XS Scuba Deluxe Mesh Duffle Bag. It is very large and easily handles all the gear. It has a large mesh compartment with solid bottom and a fairly large dry compartment on the side for clothing, wallets, keys, etc. I will use this for local shore and boat diving where I can empty it and fold it up out of the way. For travel, I would suggest using something other than mesh, possibly cordura or balistic nylon. My duffel cost $49.00. Prices on large travel bags vary from low $100's and up depending on the bells and whistles (wheels, etc.). I wouldn't be concerned with something "anti-theft" as much as something "anti-damage" to the contents. I someonew really wants yur gear, they will either cut the bag, break the zipper, or just take the whole thing.

Lots of folks will give you different and interesting answers but here is what I like.

For air travel with a full complement of gear we use the Akona Roller Backpack - AKB144. Mask, fins, BCD, 3mm or 7mm full suits, gloves, boots and hoods, empty Aqualung mesh boat bags, swim suits and empty weight belts. The bag check in just short of 45lbs when you add in a few extra goodies like fish books and small lights.

The regulators and computers were also carried on in the regulator bag that came with the AKB144.

For local diving we either use just the Aqualung mesh boat duffel bag or when going to the shore or Catalina we use these.

DSC00003%20(Small).JPG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom