Gear backpack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eugen0309

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello everyone,

I don't know whether I am posting this in the right place or not.
I want to ask for some suggestions about some travel backpacks that would fit all of my gear.

I am pretty new to diving (Padi Rescue Diver, have about 40 dives logged now) and I own almost full gear (except tank and weights).

I've seen the "Dive Caddy G3", which seems quite ok (it fits all the gear and still looks compact), but it seems like impossible to find one in a European store with lower delivery fees (to Romania).
Do you have any similar suggestions?

Thank you!

I have a Dive Caddy G3 and very much like it. I can fit pretty much everything in it like their video shows, including a Scubapro Knighthawk BCD (which is not one that I would otherwise consider small, and definitely not intended as a travel BCD...).
Can't help with delivery to Romania, but can recommend the product.
It does push the size limits for a carry-on bag, but no issues so far when travelling.
If you do manage to find one, take some time to pack and unpack it a couple of times at home before travelling, since it does take a bit of getting used to... lot of straps and buckles for compression that need to be kept track of...

I want to ask for some suggestions about some travel backpacks that would fit all of my gear.

Are you talking about for traveling on an airplane? Or by land?

When I have flown to dive, I have used a regular Ogio rollaboard suitcase that is the largest that will fit in an overhead compartment. It holds all my gear except for my fins. I have always put my fins in a checked bag. The rollaboard holds my 3/2 full wetsuit, back plate with single tank wing and tank straps, mask, computers, booties, gloves, and some miscellaneous stuff. I put my regulators in a regular backpack, along with stuff like my laptop or tablet, travel documents, etc.. I carry all of that on board. My checked bag has my fins, Stahlsac mesh backpack, any tools and cutting devices that would not be allowed to be carried on, and my clothes and non-diving stuff.

When I'm traveling by land, everything fits in a very large Stahlsac mesh backpack, which I carry right onto the boat (if I'm diving off a boat). The Stahlsac backpack has really impressed me, too. It holds all my gear, and has proven strong enough to not rip even after multiple trips where I carried all my stuff (except regs and computers) off the boat in it - meaning it was holding a wet 5/4mm wetsuit, wet pocket shorts, wet booties, wet gloves, squeeze bottle full of suit lube/anti-fog, a stainless steel back plate and wing, weight belt with 4# of weight, V-weight with 4# of lead in it, flashlights, fins, and masks. That's over 14# of just back plate and weights, plus wet exposure gear, plus all the other stuff!

To hell with spending hundreds of dollars on simply packing your gear. Get a military duffle bag from the surplus store for cheap them custom pack your kit. You'll need to make sure you have fins that fit the 22" limit on most airlines and if you use bungees or a cinch you can get that bad boy nice and compact. A bp&w helps here as well.

Are you talking about for traveling on an airplane? Or by land?

When I have flown to dive, I have used a regular Ogio rollaboard suitcase that is the largest that will fit in an overhead compartment. It holds all my gear except for my fins. I have always put my fins in a checked bag. The rollaboard holds my 3/2 full wetsuit, back plate with single tank wing and tank straps, mask, computers, booties, gloves, and some miscellaneous stuff. I put my regulators in a regular backpack, along with stuff like my laptop or tablet, travel documents, etc.. I carry all of that on board. My checked bag has my fins, Stahlsac mesh backpack, any tools and cutting devices that would not be allowed to be carried on, and my clothes and non-diving stuff.

When I'm traveling by land, everything fits in a very large Stahlsac mesh backpack, which I carry right onto the boat (if I'm diving off a boat). The Stahlsac backpack has really impressed me, too. It holds all my gear, and has proven strong enough to not rip even after multiple trips where I carried all my stuff (except regs and computers) off the boat in it - meaning it was holding a wet 5/4mm wetsuit, wet pocket shorts, wet booties, wet gloves, squeeze bottle full of suit lube/anti-fog, a stainless steel back plate and wing, weight belt with 4# of weight, V-weight with 4# of lead in it, flashlights, fins, and masks. That's over 14# of just back plate and weights, plus wet exposure gear, plus all the other stuff!

Thanks! I am looking for something that would be useful for both flying and traveling by land. I haven't done any flying with my gear yet, but I am planning to.

Until now, I've been using a regular backpack that I used for hiking, which fits almost everything, except my BCD (although it is a travel one, the Scubapro Equator). Most of my space is taken up by the 7mm full-suit, that I sometimes use for deep dives or colder waters.

Thanks! I am looking for something that would be useful for both flying and traveling by land. I haven't done any flying with my gear yet, but I am planning to.

Until now, I've been using a regular backpack that I used for hiking, which fits almost everything, except my BCD (although it is a travel one, the Scubapro Equator). Most of my space is taken up by the 7mm full-suit, that I sometimes use for deep dives or colder waters.
My goal was build the ultimate light and streamlined rig for travel however I included my 5mm into that equation because I never get hot in the water. I just wrap my regs in the center of my wetsuit ball then surround that with my backplate and fins. I wear my military duffle on my back (most military duffles come with backpack straps) and I wear another backpack on my chest which holds my FFM and all of my clothes and toiletries for a week of diving. The duffle goes in the overhead bin and the backpack fits nicely under the seat in front of me.

While you can't go hiking through the jungle with this setup it is mobile, compact and allows you to skip the hassle of checking a bag.

Get a military duffle bag from the surplus store for cheap them custom pack your kit.

I have *always* used a military duffel for my scuba gear for airline travel. My dad (career US Army, now ret.) gave me this heavy, canvas, OD, duffel when I left home for college in the early 1970's. It became dedicated to scuba travel in the late 1980's when I began flying with my scuba gear.

My duffel holds everything, including fins, drysuit and drysuit underwear, mesh bag, tools, and clothes. It can hold my regulator(s), too, but, since I check this duffel, I pack a separate carry-on that holds my regulator(s).

Only one criticism: My 1970's-era duffel has only one over-the-shoulder strap. Newer ones I have seen have two straps which facilitates wearing the duffel as a backpack.

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

Ugh! Flying with a 7mm sounds like a pain. I have only flown with my 3/2. If I were flying somewhere that needed more exposure protection than that, I would take a lightweight drysuit instead. My lightweight, breathable drysuit packs down to only a little bit bigger than my 3/2 (and will pack even smaller after I get the attached boots replaced with neoprene socks). Definitely smaller and lighter than my 7/5. And it would be good for cold or warm water. If I were really tight on space, I could even pack the drysuit, leave my undergarments at home, and just buy a cheap sweatshirt and sweatpants at my destination.

Also, if I really didn't want to check a bag, I would consider getting smaller travel fins, so they would fit in my rollaboard along with the rest of my stuff.

Ugh! Flying with a 7mm sounds like a pain. I have only flown with my 3/2. If I were flying somewhere that needed more exposure protection than that, I would take a lightweight drysuit instead. My lightweight, breathable drysuit packs down to only a little bit bigger than my 3/2 (and will pack even smaller after I get the attached boots replaced with neoprene socks). Definitely smaller and lighter than my 7/5. And it would be good for cold or warm water. If I were really tight on space, I could even pack the drysuit, leave my undergarments at home, and just buy a cheap sweatshirt and sweatpants at my destination.

Also, if I really didn't want to check a bag, I would consider getting smaller travel fins, so they would fit in my rollaboard along with the rest of my stuff.

I'll think about getting a 5mm and see how I can pack as light as possible. I'm not quite considering smaller fins, because I really like the ones I have now (Scubapro jet fins) and whenever I try others I feel that I don't move too much for the same effort. :D

I'll think about getting a 5mm and see how I can pack as light as possible. I'm not quite considering smaller fins, because I really like the ones I have now (Scubapro jet fins) and whenever I try others I feel that I don't move too much for the same effort. :D
I got the OMS Slipstreams because they are a lighter fin that does the same thing as the Jet Fins and they are compact enough to carry on. Check 'em out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom