Gear acquisition in stages

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can currently find good deals on HOG D1 reg packages, likely due to the new model coming out. For example: Hogarthian Configuration Regulator Packages - Dive Gear Express. Single-tank package is currently $289 and includes:

• One HOG D1 First Stage (w/optional Coldwater Kit)
  • Two HOG Classic Second Stages
  • Cne {60 in | 1.5 m} or {84 in | 2.1 m} Reg Hose for the primary
  • One { 22 in | 55.9 cm } Reg hose for the secondary
  • DIN to Yoke spin-on adapter
  • Necklace, S/S Bolt Snap, Delrin DIN Cap

Go for a BP/W first. I know this has been overkill but its true. My order would be

BP/W-
With my GUE group I have seen everything from Halcyon to HOG. BP I would get used anywhere you can, go stainless. A plate is a plate and will last a long time. The HOG plates are similar to dive rites and Hollis is similar to Halcyon/Scubapro. Harness look into the Dive rite or light monkey basic harness you only need 2 shoulder D rings, 1 left hip, scooter ring, and the butt d ring. Both are simple with a precut grommet in the middle making threading and screwing in bolts easy. A single tank wing should not need more than 35lbs of lift. I can dive my drysuit and steel 119 and still float the rig with weight belt attached to it if needed and I can still use that same wing with a 3mil shorty and an ali 80 in the Caribbean and not have it taco. Important thing with wings, stay away from bungied wings. A doubles wing typically comes in 40-45 and 55-60 lbs. Figure out your weighting and lifting requirements but most likely you will not need a 60lb lift wing for a while. I'd go with a doughnut style wing if possible, don't have to worry about moving gas around in the wing.

Regs-
Make sure the second stages are downstream valves (stay away from Poseidon's, Mares, and the Hollis 500SE other Hollis regs are fine) diaphragm or piston first stages does not matter. Again I've seen everything from HOG D1's to Scubapro A700's. I personally use Apeks XTX50's. If going for a diaphragm style and diving doubles go for a 5th port addition as it make hose routing a lot easier. Wear a 7 foot hose and a 22-24 inch bungied backup, typically most people go with the same backup second stage as their primary second stage. The SPG is 2-2.5 inch diameter brass and glass on a 24-26 inch HP hose, bolt snapped to the left hip D ring.

Backup lights- Keep it simple best thing I've found is the DIRS 1000 lumen. That thing is a tank.

Can light-
this is your communication tool underwater, allows you to see more and keeps a hand free. You decided on LED or HID, Im going to disagree with Dr. Lecter on the power needed. 10W LED is enough power to start with or 18W HID. Halcyon HID bulbs are fairly fragile compared to other brands. LED is simpler than HID. Also used for storing the long hose under normal use.

Hope this helps!
GC

Regs-
Make sure the second stages are downstream valves (stay away from Poseidon's, Mares, and the Hollis 500SE other Hollis regs are fine) diaphragm or piston first stages does not matter. Again I've seen everything from HOG D1's to Scubapro A700's. I personally use Apeks XTX50's. If going for a diaphragm style and diving doubles go for a 5th port addition as it make hose routing a lot easier. Wear a 7 foot hose and a 22-24 inch bungied backup, typically most people go with the same backup second stage as their primary second stage. The SPG is 2-2.5 inch diameter brass and glass on a 24-26 inch HP hose, bolt snapped to the left hip D ring.

Scubapro A700 does not have a removable faceplate. It requires a tool to remove the 4 screws, and unfortunately, that makes it a no-go.

Im sorry I did not know that, I was just remarking on what I have seen out there. In that case it is a no go. I will admit I've only seen one set of A700's but a lot of S600's and G250's

Its a sweet reg, I just wish it was designed a little differently :/

yeah it is, I've seen one set of them but otherwise it seems like everyone here in Southern California likes Atomic's, Scubapro S600/G260's, Apeks 50's and HOGs. I've heard the 700 is the same as the s600 internally with just slightly more metal that makes it a little less dryer breathing, not really a performance upgrade.

I'll chime in the same... BP/Wing first. I LOVE my HOG stuff and had it since the very beginning. It's still holding up VERY well after lots of abuse.
Just make sure all rental regs are well maintained and you check them out before use.
FYI: You can easily get a FULL HOG reg setup for under $300 new as of a couple weeks ago.

EDIT...seems most of the under $300 sales are over... that said, you can find HOG reg packages (with non HOG octo) for around $320 (D1 swivel 1st, HOG 2nd, 7ft hose, non-hog octo (free for package), 2.5" HOG SPG with whatever hose length... just add power inflator hose.

If I were you, I would go backplate/wing then reg. The 7ft hose won't work with a regular jacket BC, but a standard octo configuration does work with a bp/w.

A BC has zero effect on hose length. I've dove with my 7ft hose on many different setups. BP/Wing, Jacket style, harness w/no BC, sidemount. a hose is just a hose.

And where do you put your long hose with a jacket BC?

And where do you put your long hose with a jacket BC?

As I said in a post above, I too have been using a jacket BC with a long-hose reg set as an intermediate step toward a proper DIR configuration. I have used a 5-foot hose, so there isn't any long loop that needs to be dealt with by tucking it under something. As I said, I opted to buy the reg set first and hold off on the BP/W purchase because I was eager to adopt the donate-the-primary approach as quickly as possible, since it seems to me that it offers the greatest potential benefit of the DIR configuration--safety. To me, a safety feature takes priority over achieving good trim.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom