G'day from Down Under

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scotty Whynot?

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi All,

After just returning from a dive trip in the Pacific where I acted as unofficial "Tour Director", it got me to wondering.

I'm curious to know: What are the top 3 things you look for when booking a dive holiday?

I ask because the previous trip was such a blast, I'm thinking of arranging another!

Any advice or opinions would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Scotty.

Hi Scotty and welcome to the Subaboard :c)

Saw your "home location" and that sparked me to say hi, even though I can't really talk about "3 things to look for" since i haven't (yet) had a dive holiday.

The two weekend trips I have so far booked are through my Local Dive center (one is a trip to Narooma/Montague Island to dive/snorkel with seals, the other is a 4 day LOB up to Cairnes on the Spirit of Freedom to dive with Whales) and I went with recommendation and with the "I saw the add and went "WOW, WANT" :p - I know, it's probably not the wisest way to chose, but I will report once I am back :)

Where in the Pacific were you? I'm curious where you had your fantastic trip.

hmm.... 3 things.... Well I am usually travelling alone, so I look for an active social scene. Divers are pretty great at hanging out with whoever, as long as there is a place to chill and have a few cold one's post diving. Also, I guess picking a location based on dive seasons (Don't want to end up in a hurricane season and have all the dives for the week cancelled). That's about it...however super secondary I guess I look for length of travel to get there balanced with actual time there. (I don't want to spend 3 days to get somewhere and 3 days back if I can only stay 3 days) and maybe variety of dive sites.

3 categories

Diving: Good reefs (not really a wreck guy). Good boat (spacious but not a cattle boat or less divers on a smaller boat) and not 5 foot drops for entry. Someone to hand me my camera. Chamber accessiblilty (contigency).

Accomodations: Land based: Good light in the room and a normal height table for camera work. Beach shower for rinsing gear. A palapa neary for a post dive cold one.

Travel: How remote?. This includes cost (mostly airfare but also time). It took us 33 hours to get back to Denver Colorado USA from Fiji. Still Worth it for that trip. Would have to guage location versus cost/time.

Hi Scotty and welcome to the Subaboard :c)

Saw your "home location" and that sparked me to say hi, even though I can't really talk about "3 things to look for" since i haven't (yet) had a dive holiday.

The two weekend trips I have so far booked are through my Local Dive center (one is a trip to Narooma/Montague Island to dive/snorkel with seals, the other is a 4 day LOB up to Cairnes on the Spirit of Freedom to dive with Whales) and I went with recommendation and with the "I saw the add and went "WOW, WANT" :p - I know, it's probably not the wisest way to chose, but I will report once I am back :)

So,... Hi!
Glad to hear you're excited about your first trips.
I'd love to hear about what you loved (and what you didn't!) when you get back.

Where in the Pacific were you? I'm curious where you had your fantastic trip.

hmm.... 3 things.... Well I am usually travelling alone, so I look for an active social scene. Divers are pretty great at hanging out with whoever, as long as there is a place to chill and have a few cold one's post diving. Also, I guess picking a location based on dive seasons (Don't want to end up in a hurricane season and have all the dives for the week cancelled). That's about it...however super secondary I guess I look for length of travel to get there balanced with actual time there. (I don't want to spend 3 days to get somewhere and 3 days back if I can only stay 3 days) and maybe variety of dive sites.

Hey Music Girl,

I was diving in Fiji, in the Yasawa Island chain.
Thanks for the heads up on travel time, I hadn't allowed for that in my mind, so you've been a great help already!

3 categories

Diving: Good reefs (not really a wreck guy). Good boat (spacious but not a cattle boat or less divers on a smaller boat) and not 5 foot drops for entry. Someone to hand me my camera. Chamber accessiblilty (contigency).

Accomodations: Land based: Good light in the room and a normal height table for camera work. Beach shower for rinsing gear. A palapa neary for a post dive cold one.

Travel: How remote?. This includes cost (mostly airfare but also time). It took us 33 hours to get back to Denver Colorado USA from Fiji. Still Worth it for that trip. Would have to guage location versus cost/time.

Thanks ColoDale,

Looks like you've hit the nail on the head based on the other replies.
Pretty simple really..... :)

A little unusual here.

I'm looking for dive quality and quantity. Price moves trips up or down my to dive list.

Up till this point I am not particular concerned with the above water aspects beyond somewhat safe and relatively comfortable and occasionally convenient.

With nearly endless places to go eventually I balance awe with duration... I would enjoy 100 hrs in a bathtub or 1 hour in paradise (be it rust or caves or muck or pretty things) But otherwise: mediocre location combined with short or often blown out dives would have me looking to dive elsewhere.

Glad you are helping other divers enjoy their diving and all the best putting together another trip!

Well that's me,
Cameron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom