GBR bleaching this summer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jay

Need to dive more!
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Great Barrier Reef likely to be hit with another mass bleaching this summer, forecast shows

"....And worryingly, the southern half of the reef has a 60 per cent chance of seeing the highest "bleaching alert level 2", where coral death is likely."

Screen Shot 2018-10-26 at 8.19.26 pm.png

...which is all negated if we get a decent rainy season.
Yes its bleaching but a lot of the areas are also returning and some species thriving.
It will take years to return but thats nature for you and this is nothing new. We are just seeing it in our generation for the first time.

Yes its bleaching but a lot of the areas are also returning and some species thriving.
It will take years to return but thats nature for you and this is nothing new. We are just seeing it in our generation for the first time.

It's not natural, it's the devastating effects of mankind on the environment. Sure, some regeneration is likely but that's only short term? Long term, coral reefs are being destroyed worldwide. Just in the past 50 years they've deteriorated to the point that they barely resemble what they once were.

Get a grip, it's called E V O L U T I O N and it has been happening for eons before mankind got a chance to foolishly take a miniscule part in trying to alter it.

Don't worry, because all these devastating changes only happen in 100 years time when we won't be around.....according to the experts.:D

Get a grip, it's called E V O L U T I O N and it has been happening for eons before mankind got a chance to foolishly take a miniscule part in trying to alter it.

Don't worry, because all these devastating changes only happen in 100 years time when we won't be around.....according to the experts.:D

You can call it evolution if you want to- but it doesn't change the fact that mankind has caused devastating changes to this planet that would not have occurred without us. It's quite likely that in a billion years there will be no sign that humans ever existed and things will be "status quo" for the remaining inhabitants of the planet- many of which will never return because they are extinct due to our effects- but what most of us are concerned about is what's happening now, and for the next few hundred or even a few thousand years- and again- thanks to our rapidly advancing technology and increasingly negative effects on the environment- unwanted drastic changes are happening that will greatly affect us and the creatures that have the misfortune to share the planet with us.

Terry Hughes and his team (the ones who publish most of the work being referenced) have a vested interest in being right. It gets them funding.

The tourism industry have a vested interest in being right. It keeps their market alive.

Truth is probably that the scientists are fundamentally right, but are also failing to mention that there are sections of the reef that are still ok. From a tourism perspective, dive ops are hardly going to be taking tourists to the dead parts of the GBR. It does them (individually or as an industry) no favours to do that.

I have dived in north Qld on the GBR on and off since I got certified in 96. I've seen the degradation of the reefs over time. It's not just bleaching, but crown of thorns, massive increases in tourist numbers, agricultural run off into the reef catchments...

The problem is now that parts of the reef are dead. Like not just damaged, but dead. All these novelty ideas like putting fans underwater to try and cool the reef down and whatnot are frivolous. None of us are necromancers, we can't bring back something that is actually literally dead. Unlike previous bleaching events where the reef got damaged and bounced back in 5-10 years, you can't bounce back from being dead. That's the end-game.

The expects are telling you you will not be around in 100 years?

If I apply weed killer to a my lawn such that all the grass is dead is that evolution too?

There will be next to none of these reefs left in a relatively short while. Very likely in my lifetime and almost certainly in my son’s lifetime. Why is that? Because people like YOU have been claiming that 1) it is not happening 2) it is not us and 3) it is too late. The first time I saw any thing about bleaching was at a conference in Brisbane in August 2001. Then there were a few isolated patches, now it is normal. Oddly all the hottest years in recorded time have happened in the last five years.

Please wake up and stop believing the fantasy sold by people who are financially incentivised to ignore this problem

Obituary: Great Barrier Reef (25 Million BC-...)
Climate change and ocean acidification have killed off one of the most spectacular features on the planet.

Damage to Great Barrier Reef From Global Warming Is Irreversible, Scientists Say

Damage to Great Barrier Reef From Global Warming Is Irreversible, Scientists Say

This government is not even pretending to act on climate change any more (09/01/2018)

This government is not even pretending to act on climate change any more | Greg Jericho

Australia refuses to ditch coal despite UN warning it must be abandoned to avert climate catastrophe

The Australian government is still supporting coal, despite warnings of climate catastrophe

Australia Wilts From Climate Change. Why Can’t Its Politicians Act?

Australia Wilts From Climate Change. Why Can’t Its Politicians Act?

The Great Barrier Reef Is Probably Doomed No Matter What
A new study suggests that even slight amounts of global warming will devastate Australia and destroy its famous reef.

The Great Barrier Reef Could Bleach Every Year in a Climate-Changed World - The Atlantic

Gee, there's no conflict of interest here ? God forbid we scare off the tourists !

Climate change and ocean acidification have killed off one of the most spectacular features on the planet.

...On the contrary, attempts to call attention to the reef’s plight were thwarted by the government of Australia itself, which in 2016, shortly after approving the largest coal mine in its history, successfully pressured the United Nations to remove a chapter about the reef from a report on the impact of climate change on World Heritage sites. Australia’s Department of the Environment explained the move by saying, “experience had shown that negative comments about the status of World Heritage-listed properties impacted on tourism.” In other words, if you tell people the reef is dying, they might stop coming.

Back
Top Bottom