GBR and Yongala... let me take both. :) Suggestions???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gypsyinabigtown

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
G'day all mates !

Experienced diver moved to Sydney a few months ago. Finally have time and money together to do the big pilgrimage (this word has taken on a whole new meaning for me over last weekend's world youth day - anyway, don't let me get sidetracked here :wink:)
I want to take a 2-weeker break to experience the Great Barrier Reef !

I am thinking of doing a 7-night cruise from Cairns. I am leaning towards Mike Ball as I've heard many positive things about them here and elsewhere, but I've also been reading this which kinda scared me! CDNN :: Mike Ball Spoil Sport Liveaboard Diver Dies Diving Near Yongala Wreck

Is their safety record really shabby?

I am also very interested in doing a Yongala trip. I was hoping to do the ProDive 3-day trip, but their Tuesday departure completely wrecks the schedule and makes it hard to combine with a 7-day liveaboard off Cairns. My current thinking is staying in Townsville and doing day trips to Yongala.

Does anybody else know of a decent operator having liveaboard trips to Yongala of alternate days (less keen on Ayr as not have car) ?

Also, what does everyone think, should I do Yongala first or should I do Cairns first?

Cheers all and thanks for any tips !

1. Your link refers to the apparent murder of Tina Watson by her husband (see thread in Accidents and Incidents above) and was nothing to do with the operator.

2. I don't believe Mike Ball Expeditions have a bad service record. In fact their OH and S standards are higher than that actually legally required in Queensland.

3. They have good customer feedback, but others can tell you more about that (see other threads here or use the search function above)

4. Try Yongala Dive » Scuba diving on the S.S. Yongala Wreck, Australia as they have departures every day. It's not a liveaboard but they do have accommodation and provide transfers and it's an excellent day.

I don't think it would matter which way you went Cairns/Ayr or the other way around but as you're coming from Sydney heading down the coast might work better :)

Enjoy.

Have done the liveaboard with Mike Ball, fabulous service and diving, a great operation. Would go back again anytime

Also, I will offer a second recommendation for Yongala Dive. They were very friendly and professional, and they get you out to the wreck quickly for two unforgettable dives.

I highly recommend the day trip from ayr. takes only about 40 mins to get out there on the boat. We just hired a car from townsville to drive down there. They have a hostel style accom you can stay at as well thats really cheap.

Here's the number:07 4783 1519

Thanks many for all suggestions to my earlier thread. It looks like I am probably going to book the Spirit of Freedom for a 7-day diving trip.

I have heard a lot of positive opinion on Mike Ball and they were also extremely helpful and friendly over the phone when I contacted them. However, their Thursday departure schedule severely disrupts my vacation plans.

I am probably going to dive with the Yongala Dive in Ayr, but I will hold off on booking it until shortly before I go, as I understand the weather conditions can be severe and prevent any dive.

Thanks all again.

Back
Top Bottom