Gauging Interest in DH backplates...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Sensorone as mentioned above plastic book screws. I use them with this plate. I did remove a bit of material to thin the the head of the side that is against my back. Never noticed they were there while diving the plate.
Thanks to all for the feedback. The plastic book screws make perfect sense. Need to get some ordered along with some webbing so I get get it all together. Will report results. Thanks again.

Finally have the latest plate and picked up some new webbing today. I had a shorter, used one but no go with the added length needed for this.

As I mentioned before, I want it to use a regular harness that is easily sourced by everyone. The top wing bolt hole lines up with the center grommet on the harness.
I am about 5'9" and am using the top waist loop just fine. Tall divers should find the lower waist loop an improvement. I have a taller friend coming over this weekend to demonstrate.
I hope to dive it very soon pending conditions. Royal is closest to me and supposedly clearing up as I type.
View attachment 718718

View attachment 718719
I am playing aro
Finally have the latest plate and picked up some new webbing today. I had a shorter, used one but no go with the added length needed for this.

As I mentioned before, I want it to use a regular harness that is easily sourced by everyone. The top wing bolt hole lines up with the center grommet on the harness.
I am about 5'9" and am using the top waist loop just fine. Tall divers should find the lower waist loop an improvement. I have a taller friend coming over this weekend to demonstrate.
I hope to dive it very soon pending conditions. Royal is closest to me and supposedly clearing up as I type.
View attachment 718718

View attachment 718719

View attachment 718718

View attachment 718719
I am trying different routing methods and started by threading from the front side and up through the shoulder slots so that the webbing does not come across the top of the can cutout. Will this still pull the can close to my back or is the routing shown better for can placement? Am going for a copy of my Hollis Elite harness with a seperate waist strap. Will add D rings and adjuster buckles via 1.5" webbing and some 2" sliders with 1.5" angled hardware positioned on the waist strap so that I can more easily don/doff. Also, does crossing the shoulder straps at the top provide any advantage? I need to get it wet and see. Any thoughts?

The plate is designed for cross shoulder harness threading in order to keep the plate lower on your back AND be stable. Rigging it for typical straight shoulder harness will not work as far as I can see, and for stability and comfort reasons, I would not recommend.
You can route the harness front or backside of the plate grommet hole. However, I would recommend routing on the backside (tank side) to mitigate having material between your back and the plate. Also, it will 'pull' the top of the plate toward your pack more.
Routing it tank side will not interfere with the tank.

X.jpeg

As far as the Hollis Elite harness, I would find out how long the webbing is at at the shoulder. I don't know to be honest. I did a cursory search and did not find this info. You will need a bit more length than on typical plate.
Maybe someone will chime in that knows. Otherwise, dig a little.

The plate is designed for cross shoulder harness threading in order to keep the plate lower on your back AND be stable. Rigging it for typical straight shoulder harness will not work as far as I can see, and for stability and comfort reasons, I would not recommend.
You can route the harness front or backside of the plate grommet hole. However, I would recommend routing on the backside (tank side) to mitigate having material between your back and the plate. Also, it will 'pull' the top of the plate toward your pack more.
Routing it tank side will not interfere with the tank.

View attachment 723004

As far as the Hollis Elite harness, I would find out how long the webbing is at at the shoulder. I don't know to be honest. I did a cursory search and did not find this info. You will need a bit more length than on typical plate.
Maybe someone will chime in that knows. Otherwise, dig a little.
I will experiment with the routing for best can placement. I think I will try sewing the waist strap to the lower cutouts and add the adjustability to the shoulder straps. The plate has many options for sure. If the waist strap cutouts were vertical it would be perfect for what I have in mind but the angles work both ways I think. Your idea of a simple single piece of webbing certainly works great- I tried that too. Going for adjustability as I have access to an industrial sewing machine and can't leave well enough alone. Thanks for the feedback.

Back
Top Bottom