Gauge show when diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ok3

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Sorry if this topic have already posted on this board. I try to search and look around but still could not find the same problem I met.

My Oceanic Geo 180 shew "Gauge" when diving and I have to wait it for one day until I can continue use it. Anybody face the same problem? And how you solve it?

Thanks for all reply.

Gauge mode is what you use if you want to use it as a bottom timer/depth gauge only. You can continue to use it in that mode for subsequent dives. It assumes you are using tables or a PC print out dive plan for your nitrogen or oxygen loading. Usually this mode is used for technical diving where various mixes of gasses are used, and/or tri-mix which the computer cannot calculate nitrogen loading for.

Normal mode is what you want to use if you want it to use the nitrogen tracking features of the computer, and use the computer for subsequent dive planning based on your nitrogen loading.

The reason why you can't switch it out of gauge mode after you made a dive is that the computer did not track your nitrogen loading for the first dive, so it would be impossible for it to calculate planning for any subsequent dives. If theoretically you could put it in normal mode, the planning data would not be valid because you have residual nitrogen in your body and the computer has no idea what it is because you didn't dive in normal mode your first time.

So this is not really a problem, it is the intended use of the computer you can only use it in gauge mode if you put it in gauge mode. The way to solve any future issue is to NOT set it to gauge mode if you really want to use it in normal mode.

Last edited:
.........And since it has no idea where you are in nitrogen loading while in gauge mode most need to be out of the water for 24 hours. At that time it will assume you are clean and it has a baseline for entering and working in normal mode.

Thanks for all reply. Normally when I start diving it will automatic switch to Normal mode but sometimes it go into Gauge mode instead of normal mode. Just want to know anybody have this kind of problem and how to solve. Some of my friends in Thailand have the same probelm and they decide to sell it out and buy another one of course another brand, another dealer.

Back
Top Bottom