Gates "Guppy" Video Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2Dive4fun

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm a rookie when it comes to underwater video equipment. I purchased a Gates housing to do a little playing around. What are some basic maintance procedures to keep this unit water tight? I purchased the housing second hand and do not own a owner manual. Thanks for the help.

The main thing is to keep the main o-ring clean. If its a red o-ring (which I believe it is) it's made from silicone rubber. Do NOT grease it. Over time it will absorb grease, become more plyable & elongate. Just running it thru your fingers to grease it will eventually stretch it to the point where it will be too long for the housing. Lub it with water & keep it clean. Remove it from the groove when necessary, otherwise leave it alone. If it does happen to be a black o-ring (neoprene) then it does require a light coating of silicone grease from time to time. Don't over maintain your o-ring.

I would also suggest that you test dive the housing without a camera inside. Dive to a moderate depth & work all the controls several times - push, pull, rotate... anyway they can move. I would carefully remove the main o-ring before doing this, clean & reinstall. Then follow the suggestions above.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom