Gas Exchange question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dealing with a farting troll perhaps...

Complete your profile fart head....

Out of curiosity a while back I found a website which detailed the farting patterns of men and women. It stated that the average male farted 14 times a day and the average famale farted 16 times a day. Someone was surely BS'ing the researchers. I don't know where they got their males but I started counting my farts as well as I could and usually tallied more than 14 farts before noon. Actually, I farted about an average of 6 farts just getting out of bed and brushing my teeth and having coffee. Farting is a natural occurence which should be appreciated and enjoyed. If you didn't fart you would blow up like a balloon and be blown around the neighborhood. Also you would have to use at least your body weight in lead to sink while trying to go diving. Thank the Lord for farts.

Depends on if you are in a dry suit or not. I've been conducting a detailed study to determine which food and drink combinations cause the greatest buoyancy changes after applying non-tank supplied air into my dry suit. I've also had to work on body position to ensure that the exhaust gases flow up toward the neck and not to the feet where I could end up in a fart-initiated-feet-first uncontrolled ascent after a heavy broccoli and onion fest. I hope to sell the research and ultimately enhance my dry suit course by teaching students how to conserve tank supplied air when inflating the dry suit.

Considering Methane is lighter than air????

It warms up in the drysuit though, no need for Argon.

Is Methane a better insulator than argon? :D THAT requires a Google Search :dork2:

Watch out for methane and shorting electric heaters, you could get real warm, real fast.:D

Watch out for methane and shorting electric heaters, you could get real warm, real fast.:D

You could.... provided the atmospheric concentration of the expelled product is within the lower (LeL) and upper (UeL) explosive limits (a range of 5.0 - 15% concentration in air). Too many pre-dive bean burritos could result in a concentration that's too rich to ignite until you hit your drysuit inflator hose and added air, bringing the product concentration into the explosive range.

This, of course, completely discounts the added complexity of the situation associated with partial pressures of gas at depth, as well as the potential safety margin available to the diver by switching from a polar fleece insulation to nomex.

My big questions... where the heck would you find water to put out the fire and how the heck would you stop, drop & roll if you found yourself in the situation?:D

I find that I can't fart below about 10m. Anyone else find the same?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom