Gas bubbles may not be the underlying cause of decompression illness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... I'm not a medical scientist, so it might well be that a journal where more or less far-fetched ideas hypotheses with no experimental backing are published is a good thing to have, but just the concept is really weird to me.

You had it correct originally. It's an idea not a hypothesis. Scientific method requires quite a bit more than an argument pulled from smoke drifting in the air to be considered a hypothesis.

First, most of the papers are not quite as flawed as this one. Quite often the hypothesis is fairly sound and well argued.... it just lacks proof.

Many hypothesis (actually ideas) can be fairly sound and well argued and have no basis in reality. Many actual scientists call these ideas "junk science". Moreover, it's been reported that at least half of biomedical research - "hard science" - involves bias, shaving data, and in some cases outright fabrication. Question - what graduate student (Masters or PhD) is going to inform their Major Professor (who holds their degree in his/her hand) that their hypothesis is dead wrong? Yeah, right. Seen it happen several times that results were made to conform to the Major Professors bias so the candidate could graduate.

You can't compare an exact science like physics with medicine. In physics, one can prove or disprove something with a single experiment.

Would you be interested in purchasing a bridge I own in NYC or perhaps some "waterfront" land in Florida?

Well duhhh. Everyone knows the underlying cause is physics, bubbles just follow the rules. :facepalm: I personally blame Robert Boyle.
That's unjust. Me, I blame Will Henry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom