Gas Analyzing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dc3john

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anyone else have concerns that their dive shop / tank fill location might not have an accurate analyzer. It troubles me that there isn't a yearly (or other interval) that these analyzers are calibrated. How do we really know the accuracy of devices. It has caused me to consider buying my own analyzer, but that's pretty expensive. Then, the argument is "how much is your safety / life worth"?

I'm in a line of work where everything seems to have a calibration date, why not this equipment? Our tanks have to be inspected, why not the device that checks the air that goes in them.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

The analyzer you use to check your gas should be calibrated every time you use it. This is nitrox/heliox/trimix we are talking about, right?

Analyzers really need a two point calibration to be truly trustworthy. Calibrating in air is great, but unless you can calibrate with another known gas (100% O2 being the easiest), you're really just sort of trusting that the cell is linear.

The best thing to do is get your own analyzer and do a two point calibration regularly so that you can be sure your analyzer is linear all the way up to pure gas (ex. 100% O2) or a known quantity in the case case of ppm-sensing cells. If you can get a hold of calibration gas, that is bump gas of a specific quantity of whatever gas you are testing for, you can easily test throughout the range as opposed to just the extremes.

Fortunately, 1 atmosphere O2 and CO sensors tend to last a while, so while you should calibrate regularly, it should be safe to assume that you should get decent life out of your cells. However, this is not always the case so it's really a "trust but verify" sort of thing.

Remember that an O2 sensor is a galvanic fuel cell, an electrochemical transducer which generates current that is, theoretically, proportional and linear to the partial pressure of the oxygen to which it is exposed. As such, they essentially have a limited lifespan based on the amount of oxygen the sensor "sees." As the anode is consumed or in the event of something like an electrolyte leak, the reading will either become current limited at higher partial pressures of oxygen, or simply be grossly incorrect. Because analyzer cells typically see low percentages of oxygen, they tend to last a rather long time, compared to things like rebreather cells which will see significantly higher partial pressures of oxygen.

In that regard, you can see how analyzer cells should theoretically last for an extended period of time, but it is always best to verify with a known gas, preferably at high partial pressures or higher ppm's of said gas, in order to ensure that the sensor is operating correctly within the parameters in which you will be using it.

I always use my own analyzers but I have seen shop analyzers off be over 6% not much in the grand scale of things but enough to justify a new sensor since we couldnt get it to read right after calibrating it.

I have my own, but at the more popular shops that I frequent, I trust their analyzers. Have yet to see a significant deviation, though the few that I have heard of resulted in immediate sensor replacement. I guess for me the argument is what makes you trust your own analyzer more than the shops? They use the same sensors, and the accuracy is going to be the same because all the analyzer is, is a voltage meter

. . .

I'm in a line of work where everything seems to have a calibration date, why not this equipment? . . .

This has occurred to me before. My thinking is that unlike other areas in which we rely on regulations/rules to ensure that something is calibrated, dive shops have a self interest to motivate them to keep their analyzers working as accurately as possible. Dive shop personnel, friends of dive shop personnel, etc., all use these same analyzers. They want them accurate as much as you do.

Oxygen analyzers should be calibrated frequently and in similar conditions (pressure, temperature, humidity and gas flow) as when analyzing a gas. Doing a 2 points calibration (and checking the mV read-out of the O2 sensor for consistency) could produce more accurate results.

CO analyzers are more difficult to calibrate as they require reference gasses with known ppm of CO in them (and they are expensive). We recommend that CO calibration should be performed at least once a year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom