Garmin Descent T1 connection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thomasj1107

Contributor
Reaction score
My wife and I got in the water at a local quarry yesterday to test out our new Garmin descent transmitters for the first time. Had no issues on the surface with transmission and pressure showing up on the watch. Made our initial descent to a ten foot platform, and we lost signal (both of us). Surfaced, and changed the signal transmission from “standard” to “high”, there was still “maximum”, but we didn’t go there. Continued the dive, 10 foot platform good, 20 foot platform good. We continued the dive descended to a couple different spots at 50-60 feet. Another 10-12 min later her signal was lost. I saw on my watch first that hers had gone out. She was and is always ~500 PSI above me on air so we circled the structure we were at for a couple min to see if we could get her signal back and no luck. I put my watch right next to her transmitter, still nothing. We surfaced and later back at the surface hers returned. We didn’t have enough air to do a whole other dive to try the “max” transmission. I feel like we should HAVE to go to max to get it to work properly, but does anyone else have any experience or tips with this device that you can pass along? Thanks

We surfaced and later back at the surface hers returned.
This is actually not surprising as the T1 uses different transmission protocols at the surface and under water. It uses ANT at the surface and sonar below.
We didn’t have enough air to do a whole other dive to try the “max” transmission. I feel like we should HAVE to go to max to get it to work properly, but does anyone else have any experience or tips with this device that you can pass along? Thanks
I would agree, you shouldn’t have to go to max to get it to work properly. The only suggestion I have is to try a different battery. If that doesn’t improve it, I’d contact Garmin. There have been T1s that worked in ANT, but not sonar. Sounds like in your wife’s case it works for a bit, then stops. That’s why I’m thinking a battery may help.

This is actually not surprising as the T1 uses different transmission protocols at the surface and under water. It uses ANT at the surface and sonar below.

I would agree, you shouldn’t have to go to max to get it to work properly. The only suggestion I have is to try a different battery. If that doesn’t improve it, I’d contact Garmin. There have been T1s that worked in ANT, but not sonar. Sounds like in your wife’s case it works for a bit, then stops. That’s why I’m thinking a battery may help.

I could hear the “signal” so to speak on mine buzzing throughout the dive. She says she couldn’t hear one so maybe the battery will help. It sucks that I can’t “test” it without actually going underwater because we don’t have anywhere else to just go do little test dives right now before our next trip. Since mine had a problem on the “standard” signal strength should I just put a new battery in also, like is it common for the batteries to be crap out of the box?

Since mine had a problem on the “standard” signal strength should I just put a new battery in also, like is it common for the batteries to be crap out of the box?
It wouldn’t hurt. The batteries are fairly inexpensive, and easy to replace. I don’t know how common It is to be bad out of the box, but I’d say batteries are a cheap troubleshooting step. Use a good brand for the replacements. I prefer Energizer.

Have you checked battery status? Under dive setup, air integration you can see battery level.

Back
Top Bottom