Garbage garbage garbage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tazrox

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
All I hear is people (mainly Filipinos) raving about the diving in the Philippines. World class diving? Perhaps. Thing is, I've heard multiple reports about the reefs having large amounts of garbage. And these folks have been all over the Caribbean, Red Sea and Indo-Pacific region so they know what good diving is. The garbage-littered places we're talking about are Anilao, Puerto Galera and Moalboal, among others. Has anyone else noticed this? Is there a garbage season that coincides with typhoon season - as the runoff from the rains bring garbage out to sea?

It's a shame because the diving there could be better if it weren't for all the garbage among the reefs. By the way I've been to several dive sites around the Philippines and I always see more chip bags, old slippers, Zesto and C2 bottles than I could count. By the way I'm Filipino, I've lived there for years and my family is from the Philippines. What's going on with all the garbage?

I've seen it first hand. As a visitor every year in my asawa's hometown and other towns, the young people eating their chips/fast food snacks, drinking the sodas/C2 and then just toss them to the ground. No respect for the land, sad to see. When we traveled to Bohol last year, the first thing I noticed was how clean the area was, no trash by the road or on the beaches, so it is not all of the PI is trashed up. As far as the diving goes, I saw a few old tires and the plastic grocery bags on the ocean floor, but overall it was okay.

i have done a lot of diving in the pi and elsewhere. the worst sites i have seen for garbage have NOT been in the philippines. i am not Filipino and i also rave about the diving in the pi.
it wouldn't surprise me if there are certain places or seasons where there is a lot of garbage, but i haven't seen it in the philippines to the same extent i have seen it in some other places.

It is garbage I say...garbage...
Where man lives there is trash. Pick it up and make the world a better place! The folks on the other side of the world are just jealous.

That's terrible! I hate seeing rubbish where it shouldn't be.
Maybe you could gather a few divers there for a clean up day? I know it will take more than a few divers and just a day but it's a start.

Cheers
Starlet

I sometimes carry a mesh bag to put the rubbish in. But I have to say that I noticed very little rubbish last time I was in PG.

i have done a lot of diving in the pi and elsewhere. the worst sites i have seen for garbage have NOT been in the philippines. i am not Filipino and i also rave about the diving in the pi.
it wouldn't surprise me if there are certain places or seasons where there is a lot of garbage, but i haven't seen it in the philippines to the same extent i have seen it in some other places.

I feel the same to this subject!

I was born in the Philippines, learned how to dive there and have traveled to a lot of places where diving is the "Main Attraction". I live in the Upper Midwest USA. Garbage is Universal. Under the ice where Ice fisherman like to dump their beer cans/bottled in their fishing holes, we get to see them when we go diving. We pick the garbage up, if every diver just did that then there would be less garbage in the water.

I was in Anilao last February and came back with my suit pockets full of garbage. It is a dieases that we humans have when we get lazy. Some of the garbage drifts from areas far away from your wonderful reefs.

There are yearly events that encourage people to pick up/ clean up. If we all do our part then there will be less garbage to see in the water.

Just my 2 cents/ centavos
Jim

I unfortunately agree...:shakehead: yeah, diving PG there was some garbage on the reefs. More so the nearer your sites were to Sabang, SLL and BLL. I even suggested PG should organise a yearly "clean up day", but that,s not going to happen... But this said, you should have a look at the main bodies of water here! I work a lot on the St-Lawrence river here in Quebec (field work) and the amount of trash I see float by is mind boggling... And it's not like Canada doesn't have the $$ to insure proper waste disposal... It really is mainly about peoples behaviour towards the environment and their ignorance about the impact their actions have on it...

Anyways, all that to say, it really is a worldly problem... Humans...:dork2:

Just my 0.02$

I was born in the Philippines, learned how to dive there and have traveled to a lot of places where diving is the "Main Attraction". I live in the Upper Midwest USA. Garbage is Universal. Under the ice where Ice fisherman like to dump their beer cans/bottled in their fishing holes, we get to see them when we go diving. We pick the garbage up, if every diver just did that then there would be less garbage in the water.

I was in Anilao last February and came back with my suit pockets full of garbage. It is a dieases that we humans have when we get lazy. Some of the garbage drifts from areas far away from your wonderful reefs.

There are yearly events that encourage people to pick up/ clean up. If we all do our part then there will be less garbage to see in the water.

Just my 2 cents/ centavos
Jim

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom