Galveston or Freeport shore dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dutchman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anyone doing dives from either one of these spots?
I would like to spend a weekend blowing bubbles.
Wife goes shopping or snorkeling.

Dutchman:
Anyone doing dives from either one of these spots?
I would like to spend a weekend blowing bubbles.
Wife goes shopping or snorkeling.

I was Offatt's Bauou in Galveston today...the viz was a roaring 4'. Saw plenty of sheepshead, grunt and crabs in and around the rocks. With kids back in school there was no one else there. Weekend may be busier. Personally. I'd suggest Twin Lakes this weekend...our dive club, The Lunarfins, www.geocities.com/lunarfins will be there Saturday morning, 27th. You'll just have to sign a club release in addition to the lake release. Air and renal tanks are available on site. Lots better shopping available nearby at 518 and 288 than Freeport or Galveston.

Regards,

Thanls for the invite. Unabe to this coming weekend. Going to Oklahoma. Labor Day weekend in Chicago. Will try for some time in Sept. Wll let you know.

no such thing as a decent saltwater shore dive from Galveston or Freeport Texas ...... look at the water ... it's brown for the first 20 or 30 miles or so. Your best bet is diving the rigs offshore a 50 or 60 mile trip ..... you can get up to 80 ft visibility on a good day and about 3 inches on a bad day...... lots os fish and other stuff to see ...... watch out for the Bull sharks .... they have been several people bitten while swimming off the beach this year .

Actually there is some great diving only 7-10 miles off the Texas Coast at some of the rigs / platforms closest into shore. I know a fellow instructor that dives out of Port Aranasas & takes classes out there as well. He also dives around the jetties and he states he can get some decent vis (10-12ft) quite a bit. Just depends on the time of year. Just got to check with the locals - they can usually give you the good spots...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom