Galvanized Vs Separate rock boots?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rimp

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide between attached galvanized boots and separate "rock boot" style boots on a new drysuit.

The galvanized boots have some advantages like;

- always attached. never need to look for them.
- firmly attached to suit.
- good ankle support
- loose on the feet, so no circulation problems from being overtight.
- can hang up the suit to dry using them.

Some bad things;

- not as flexible at the ankle for climbing or walking possibly.
- can't tighten them up to prevent too much air from entering (can get around this with more liner, smaller size, or gators possibly).

The "rock boot" style has some advantages;

- easier to climb/walk (and ladders) because the ankle is more flexible. Eliminates the "robot walk".
- can tighten them up to control how much air is in them (prevent uncontrolled foot ascents possibly).
- easy to replace if they wear out.

Some bad points;

- You always have to lace them up and unlace them after the dive.
- if the shoe falls off while diving you will lose both the shoe and your flipper likely, then your foot fills up with air and your in big trouble (does this ever happen?).
- the neoprene sock on the bottom of the suit is very soft. Doesn't feel all that durable to me. I can see problems with this, but perhaps not.
- that sock can be a dog to get off due to suction. this is especially noticeable after a dive and a hike up a cliff. ;-)
- having a drysuit with soft socks seems silly since you can't walk in the soft socks (for fear of poking a hole in them).
- can't hang up the suit via soft socks very easily.

It all seems 50/50 for which is better. Can anyone see any other advantages/disadvantages to these two boot options?

hmm.. what to buy?

I think the galvanized is cheaper.

Is this your first suit? If so I highly reccomend you take a drysuit class and try them both out. You have a very good grip on the pros and cons . I have used both and like them both. Some people do have problems with floaty feet with the attached boots. It is a hassle to always have to have an extra task of putting the rock boots on. If DIR is in your future they prefer the attached boots. Attached to a TLS 350 of course!

Shore dive - use the separate boots. Boat dive - use the vulcanized one - leave the galvanizing for your tanks. Split between shore and boat diving - your call. I prefer the attached boots - I wear size 12 boots, so the separate boots require fins the size of East Jesus.

Back
Top Bottom