Galapagos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After last Saturday anything over a meter vis is good!

Thanks for the advice on the dry suit tearing thing, i've been advised to take a semi dry for just that reason, but i don't want the hassle of getting one. i've been in touch with the people who made mine ( O'Three Custom Drysuits - Home ) and they have never heard of the problem, but recommend that i take 'black witch' and put it on the sides of the tear as aquasure is a b***** to get off when they repair it.

i'm booked on Galapagos Sky which used to be Sky Dancer, i have to fill in new booking forms for which they will give me free nitrox:D

I go the last week in November

Oh just one thing whilst you are over there boys, could you please tell me what type of sockets they use on the boat. i want to take the right adaptor so if they are pretty standard US sockets i can take a US one.

Oh just one thing whilst you are over there boys, could you please tell me what type of sockets they use on the boat. i want to take the right adaptor so if they are pretty standard US sockets i can take a US one.

I wasn't on a boat, but the sockets on the islands are US-type (probably not exact US voltage). The US dollar is the official currency.

Everything I have read for both on boat and on land shows 110V (U.S. voltage).

Dry suit damage is an issue. We had several "rock hugging" dives in high current. Everybody on our trip dove wet, and one guy bought a semi-dry especially for the trip because he didn't want to risk a dry suit tear. I dove in a 6.5 with a hood and gloves and was reasonably comfortable. The coldest water we encountered was 63 F. Topside temps were in the mid-70s during the day and mid to low 60s at night in the southern islands. The weather was misty rain most of the time, and viz was not very good--usually 15-20 feet. But, man, there are plenty of amazing things to see.

For my part, I went to Galapagos in 2008 and had a 5mm semi-dry. 6.5mm with hood would have been better, but I managed OK. It should also be noted that I am a certified warm water wimp...:blinking:

Don't be too afraid with tearing your drysuit. Here, in Norway we dive it all the time and our rocks are rather sharp. Got a small hole or two in last years but that's it. Nothing a bit of a neoprene (or rubber) glue couldn't fix. Just buy the REAL 2 part glue, not the stuff they sell in dive shops.
I hate semidries - they are stiff, and well.... if you pee (and you are more likely to do it, as you are wet) you literally marinate in your own urine.

Well, after this weekend, I'm beginning to believe that the picnic tables (Lot of loose screws & nails) is rougher on my drysuits than the rocks in the Galapagos or the caves in FL. I managed to put 2 holes in my newer drysuit this weekend:shakehead:. I'm taking a couple tubes of Aquaseal with me,.... just in case. Good thing is, my cave diving course I'm going through right now, has been teaching me how to maneuver around rocks & how to use them to my advantage in high flow caves.

somebody once told me that a dry suit is a mythical creature. First dive of the weekend they are usually wrong, but after that you are in your own sweat.........

i agree with Marcin, small pin pricks are really just an irritant, you get a wet undersuit which has to dry and you may not have the facilities, but a tear when you are as far from the places which could mend your suit as the Galapagos make sure you have something to patch it with.

I don't think the Galapagos water will be as cold as the Norwegian water, and the air temperature will NOT be colder than the water temperature, but i doubt the vis will be as good. We had 100m when we were there - fabulous holiday.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom