Galapagos Padi Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mango693

New
Reaction score
is the Galapagos a bad place to get certified....I have never been scuba diving before

you would be better off getting certified (and some practice) before you go....it is not really a beginners dive location......

Going in December and from everything I read I would definitely choose a different place and log a bunch of divers before going to the Galapagos.

Hey Mango
Welcome to the board.

What an awesome opp to have the freedom and means to learn in the Galapagos!

However, I'd have to agree with the other posters...if I were in your positoin, I'd get certified ASAP and log some dives to get your full enjoyment and appreciation out of that once in a lifetime opportunity in the Gpagos..

Dive safe...

JAG

mango693:
is the Galapagos a bad place to get certified....I have never been scuba diving before
Any place is wonderful to get certified, however I wouldn't spend the money to get certified there. I would get certified as close to home as you can, and get a bunch of diving in so that you can enjoy all of your diving there, and not have to take classes. Also, what happens if you spend the money to get there and find that you (God forbid) don't like diving?

kent_1848:
Any place is wonderful to get certified, however I wouldn't spend the money to get certified there. I would get certified as close to home as you can, and get a bunch of diving in so that you can enjoy all of your diving there, and not have to take classes. Also, what happens if you spend the money to get there and find that you (God forbid) don't like diving?

Got to agree with Kent. Getting certified before you leave gives you more time to just enjoy the experience while you are there. It's not like your going for a PhD but learning to dive = practice dives + reading + studying + exams. Hmm, maybe it is ?!?

Don;t forget that besides diving you will be hiking and exploring and you don't want to miss any of that. Get in touch with your local dive shop and find out where you can get some training under your belts.

Oh....and have a great time !!

An new open water diver will be concerned with bouyancy, breathing rates, and all the new stuff that they just learned. IMO, it will be enough of a distraction that the enjoyment of what is offered in Galapagos will be missed.

Get some dives under your belt in conditions similar to what you will experience there. Water temps, exposure suits, etc.

Then have a wonderful time! It's right at the top of my list of "must dives".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom