galapagos islands questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lee3

Contributor
Reaction score
I've read though some of the searched threads here and elsewhere and would appreciate some more responses from those that have already been. The mrs and I have decided to take a nice long vacation there next year. I've read that the warmer weather takes place during the first half of the year and would imagine the dive conditions are better then too, or am I making a lousy assumption and missing some migration that only takes place during the second half of the year that I can't afford to miss?

We're most excited to dive darwin and wolf islands and am guessing a liveaboard is the only way to really do that. What liveaboard has the nicest possible accomodations and is the best in your opinions? Or, is there some place you would suggest to stay on land and plan out our diving with some particular boat in advance? I've read about some whale shark sightings and that would be great, is there any particular time of the year that we are more likely to find one? We're also both avid hikers and would like any suggestions as to islands/trails that we shouldn't miss. Any other helpful tips are greatly appreciated. Thanks

Hi Lee3

I have not been yet but I have done quite a bit of reading. I am booked on Lammerlaw for 9 nights including woolf and darwin in late November (I will post a report).

I found the following sites useful. There are quite a few accounts of trips on the Rodales site. http://www.scubadiving.com/home

This site has pictures and specs of all the dive boats and the page I have given the address for takes you to what is happening each month in the way of wildlife. My understanding is that the only way to Woolf and Darwin is liveaboard but there are some very strong proponents of day trips to the stuff closer to the settlements. I don't think you will get much in the way of serious hiking. You have to stick to marked trails and I don't get the feeling they go more than a couple of hours at most there and back!

http://www.galapagosadventures.com/page25.html

All the best.

Alison

Quick comment. Many of the boats offer diving in the Galapagos and reports on the quality vary. Diving Wolf and Darwin is advanced diving with strong currents and the possibility of being swept out in the open ocean. I would only want to use a boat with a good track record diving up there, where you are confident in the safety. Quality of the diving operation should be more important than luxury for Wolf and Darwin. We used the Aggressor which was excellent. Lammer Law and Peter Hughes [sp} may also be good choices.

You might make a two week trip using on boat for Wolf and Darwin and a second boat with high class accommodations for touring the Southern islands.

Ralph

Our group dove with the Aggressor II last August 2003 on a ten day trip....the boat, crew, food, and diving were all incredible. Thr trip was flawless. Your best chance to see whale sharks is in August. This we were told is the heart of their winter and when the water temp is the coolest but the activity is the highest. Hammerheads were everywhere on nearly every dive in the hundreds. In two days at Darwin's arch we saw as a group over 20 whale shark sightings! Drysuit highly recommended. Watch out for the strong currents, up-wellings and down-wellings!!!

Did my trip on the "Mistral", a fine liveaboard. Ten-day trip, Wolf and Darwin incl., in March/early April. No complaints.

Booked through an Equadorian company, Quasar Nautica, you should find it on Google. Might save you some bucks too.

One thing, I made my booking through an American agent once I'd found Q.N. Felt safer that way, if you know what I mean.

Diving is different - currents/thermoclines (needle thin)/up and downwellings. But thoroughly enjoyable.

Best of luck,

Seadeuce

Back
Top Bottom