Galapagos Islands - are the sea at peak diving season impacting land cruise activities?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ameneon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We are looking into doing a one week diving liveaboard, followed by a week on a land based liveaboard.

Considering the sea is much rougher in peak diving months like August and September, does this impact snorkeling etc on the land cruises much?

Or the iguana dive which is listed on most of the itineraries on diving liveaboards. I read it is usually only on a couple of meters depth, which could be quite uncomfortable or even dangerous with high swell and currents? Are these dives almost always being done or are they sometimes cancelled because of conditions?

I imagine most of the snorkeling on the land based cruises on the west coast of Isabela are done close to land and could be impacted? Or are they being done in somewhat sheltered bays?

One extra question, about the giant tortoises. Looks like a trip to the highlands are done by 5 of 6 diving liveaboards the entire year. But according to wild life calendars like Galapagos Wildlife Calendar | Blog | Wildlife Worldwide they migrate to the low lands to nest in June. Are these land trips always to the highlands? And if yes are there any of them left in for instance July? I imagine males always stay behind. According to the calendar they return in August, but in October it says "Giant toroises are still laying eggs". Is there a lot less tortoises to see during most of the cold season?

we were in galapagos in may. we did a week on a liveaboard (galapagos agresser II) followed by a week of land tours.(3 days santa cruz island, 4 days isabella island). we dove with the iquanas on cabo douglas. was in about 4m of water. fair amount of surge, close to land, because the marine iquanas sun themselves on land until they are warm enough to go in the water. the water is friggen cold (~63F) .

marine iguana eating (4m). cabo douglas
P4266855-adj-trim1-small.jpg

here is a vid from the marine iquanas to show you what it looks like (taken by a divemaster). you can see me maneuvering for a shot of the iguana at the end of the vid/
marine iguanas vid. cabo douglas.
http://tlcpropmgmt.com/audi/marine_iguanas_cabo_douglas-Desktop.m4v
http://tlcpropmgmt.com/audi/marine_iguanas_cabo_douglas-Desktop.m4v
area of isabella 40min by boat west from peurto villamil called the tunnels. great snorkeling.
P5037224-adj-trim-small.jpg

land tortoises santa cruz.
P4276922-adj-trim-small.jpg

I've done two liveaboard trips in the Aug/Sept time frame. Only one did the highlands tortoise visit but I felt we had roughly the same giant tortoise experience as on my three Dec trips. I was happy with the number of tortoises we saw and none of the other divers expressed disappointment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom