Galapagos diving - Wet or Dry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverLS

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm leaving to dive the Galapagos Islands the end of September, 1 month before the "cold" season ends.. The trip coordinator says dive dry - that way can do more diving. Two of my divemaster friends say dive wet - too much drag if you dive dry. I have both wet & dry, the wet suit is about 6 years old but not used much, 6mil w/hood. I am fine all summer diving boats off S. Cal in the late summer and fall with the wet suit. About three years ago I dived Catalina then Santa Barbara then Anacapa in mid April. Catalina and Santa Barbara were fine with the wet suit but when we got to Anacapa, I did the giant stride and got so cold shocked I immediately swam to the back and re-boarded the boat. Since that I dive mostly dry. So I can dive wet to the mid to upper 60s.

Please - any recomendations from anyone that has been there?

I assume that you don't want to take both for luggage restrictions?

Sorry I can't help, I haven't been there, yet....

Did you want water temps?

If you are okay in a wetsuit to the mid 60's as you say, you'll be fine.

Your trip leader's comments in reference to "drag". I fear that he thinks it will inhibit your forward motion. Quite the contrary, it will act as a sail in the current. Win win.

Yor profile pic: In the Galloping Pogos, lose the snorkel or you will.

dove the galapagos last week from 6/25 untill 7/2 on the sky dancer. water temps ranged from 71-73f at the southern sites(cousins and gordon rocks, seymore island) to 74-75f at wolf and darwin islands. our group wore 5mm-7mm full suits with a 3/5mm hooded vest. air temp ranged from 74-78f during the day to 65-68f at nite.

reefman
key largo

Bring both if you have room. Even if planning on diving dry, I'd still consider bring a wetsuit as a back up ... just in case.

Dove it last September, in a 7mm with hood and 5mm gloves - perfect. Dry suit (I have one but didn't bring it) may be a bit cumbersome since you dive out of pangas (RHIs) and getting back in them can be an effort with a dry suit.

But a great trip - 16 whale sharks in 17 dives! Mainly at Darwin and Wolf.

Back
Top Bottom