Galapagos diving, snorkelling and boat cruise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Liberty01

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi!
Going to Galapagos in May for about 18days, I thought about booking an 8 day cruise doing mainly snorkelling and visiting the islands and doing some day dive trips from Puerto Ayora before or after that tour. I thought doing the diving during the cruise will make me miss parts of the cruise.
What do you think? Are there dive spots I can only reach on a cruise (other than Darwin and Wolf)?
Which sites are best for snorkelling? Are there special sites for dolphins, eagle or manta rays etc.?
I love walls and drift dives in moderate currents. Do you have to fight very strong currents in places like Gordon Rock in order to see all the sharks etc.? Do you have to do a negative entry and swim straight down to 7m or fix yourself to a rock?
Can you recommend a good shop? Do you get discounts for several days of diving?
Thank you for your advice.
Yours, Liberty

Liberty01:
Hi!
Going to Galapagos in May for about 18days, I thought about booking an 8 day cruise doing mainly snorkelling and visiting the islands and doing some day dive trips from Puerto Ayora before or after that tour. I thought doing the diving during the cruise will make me miss parts of the cruise.
What do you think? Are there dive spots I can only reach on a cruise (other than Darwin and Wolf)?

Yes and no, depending on who you do a day dive charter with.

Which sites are best for snorkelling?

Everything else on your post references diving. You have me confused. Most "cruise ship" participants are snorkelers, not divers. They will take you to where they will take you- you will have no choices to make.

Are there special sites for dolphins, eagle or manta rays etc.?

Absolutely. Ask the right dive op and they will deliver.

I love walls and drift dives in moderate currents. Do you have to fight very strong currents in places like Gordon Rock in order to see all the sharks etc.?

Fight a current? Ill advised. If you want to "see the sharks", you would be best familiar with lateral currents but downwellings (up/down) as well. You can be at 45fsw and when told to let go and "fly", you may well have to react instantly otherwise you'll be at 95fsw in a heartbeat. Gotta be right on the stick.

Do you have to do a negative entry and swim straight down to 7m or fix yourself to a rock?

My answers in order: Probably a good idea, probably a good idea (make that 15meters), and probably a good idea. Gordon Rocks is not a dive for those who are not up to speed.

Can you recommend a good shop?

Far and away the best is Scuba Iguana. Dive, not snorkel.

Do you get discounts for several days of diving?

If you pay for and book in advance, why not?

Yours, Liberty

Tell us more about your intentions. Your experience level tells me what with the places that you have been- that your concerns are not for yourself.

Liberty01:
Hi!
Which sites are best for snorkelling? Are there special sites for dolphins, eagle or manta rays etc.?
I love walls and drift dives in moderate currents. Do you have to fight very strong currents in places like Gordon Rock in order to see all the sharks etc.? Do you have to do a negative entry and swim straight down to 7m or fix yourself to a rock?
Can you recommend a good shop? Do you get discounts for several days of diving?
Yours, Liberty

When I went to the Galapagos, I sailed aboard a dive boat (the Daphne). We mainly did two dives in the mornings and spent the afternoons doing land tours of the various islands. To my mind, you get the best of both worlds that way. I have published a web-based travel page you can take a look at to get a better idea. http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/58940/8d3/

Thank you for your replies!
I love both snorkelling and diving. As to the best spots for snorkelling and diving, different cruise boats do have different itineraries and might go to places that are less accessible from Puerto Ayora on day trips. That was the reason for my question.
I want to do most of the diving extra, as difficult cold water diving will be too tiring for me, so I won't have energy to enjoy the sightseeing above sea level.
Yours, Liberty

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom