Galapagos Dive Advice Needed, alternative to liveaboards?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We did the Inca Trail to Macchu Picchu prior to the Galapagos trip. It adds some logistic challenges, if you are taking your dive gear. We left bags in hotels but then you have to return the same path.

No - its in the order of 250km from a town to Darwin, across open water. So a day trip would be about 500km (300 miles)
I have just come back from a live-aboard, and the first few dives were really to get us ready for the procedure to dive in the current at Wolf and Darwin. We saw Hammerheads, Silkies, Galapagos and Whale sharks. You also (depending on the boat) get to Punta Vicente Roca and have a change to see the Mola Mola.

Some travellers told us they had seen Hammerheads while snorkelling (not at Wolf or Darwin). You would have to be lucky and I don't expect they would be in the same numbers!

We did a week liveaboard naturalist tour before the weeks diving. The snorkelling was great, the diving is different!

I did the same when I went to 5-day hiking up to Kilimanjaro & diving in Pemba afterwards. I left my dive gear bag in the hotel without any problem.

I have booked a liveaboard trip to Galapagos with Galapagos Master this December for the first time. What are things that I should bring for a warm water recreational diver like me?

What are things that I should bring for a warm water recreational diver like me?
We are warm water divers, 21C is cold. Our international flights allowed for 2x23Kg bags each, so we could take a full 23Kgs of dive gear.

Really the water varies in temperature significantly by dive site and current. We could go from 23C to 17C in one dive, you could see the cold water coming! And at Vicente Roca we were down to 14C. On many of the Wolf/Darwin dives you sit and watch the action, minimal exertion - good air consumption and cold.

We did both a naturalist cruise (week 1) and dive cruise (week 2). I took a 'light' 3/4/5mm wetsuit and a larva core vest for wet diving and a dry suit for cold water! We expected to use the wetsuits for the naturalist cruise snorkelling. As it was we dived wet for the first 4 dives at wolf and the 4 dives at Darwin. The 17C thermoclines were a bit cold... On our second day at Wolf it was colder and after the day's first dive we changed to dry and were comfortable. Both dive guides also opted for dry suits. Some guests opted not to dive. At Vicente Roca the water was 14-15C so the dry suit was good to have, many on the boat skipped the second dive, some aborted the first. We also had 3mm hoods.

Most on the boat most divers were diving 7mm wetsuits, I don't think anyone was warm! When my partner and I didn't use our larva cores they were gratefully accepted by other divers.

There tends to be a lot of holding and pulling on rocks and these are rough and have barnacles on them. Many people did not have gloves. We used cressi 2mm spider gloves that were effective, I wore one finger through. We also had Fourth Element 3mm gloves these are very solid and warm and used mainly when diving in the cold water.

The water is quite salty, so in my dry suit I was using 31pound of weight as opposed to 24pound at home. Even those in 7mm suits had heavy weight belts. If you dive integrated weights you may need to consider this. The weighs on our boat were in 1 and 2 kilogram 'blocks'.

Back
Top Bottom