Galapagos Buddy Dive vs other liveaboards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divekraz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My question is how does the Buddy Dive liveaboards compare to the other liveaboards serving the Gallopagos? My wife and I dove on the buddy dive boat 12-2011 and are thinking of going again. Does anyone have any comments on perhaps diving at a different time of the year and benefits of that time period versus December. Do you think there are better accomadations/food/service on any of the other liveaboards serving there? I appreciate any comments as I will probably go with Buddy again around mid year if no one thinks differently. Again Thanks for any thoughts to help in the decision process.

I am going to dive with Buddy Dive in June. Did you enjoy
your trip with them? Is there any tips you can give me?

Maybe not relevant...but they thought it was ok that my 13 year old would have to share a cabin with another adult pax. Huh? Just got that email this afternoon.

Sorry just had to share that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

One piece of advice, don't watch divekraz's youtube of his trip, you wont sleep until June. I am headed down end of July.

Buddy dive was first class through and through. I absolutely loved everything about that boat and their helpful crew. I was there in october and i absolutely loved it, would go again in a heartbeat!

I did a review of Buddy after my trip Christmas 2011 on scuba board. I think it's one of the best dive boats around. Crew was great. food was OK. I would use Scuba Diving, Live Aboards, & More - Ultimate Dive Travel Laura and her husband are the owners and were extremely helpful. I would suggest using them, for a nominal cost they had someone meet us at the airport and transport us to the hotel and next day the airport to fly to Buddy and did the same coming back. The hotel we stayed at was great. Another thing is I would bring a reef hook, especially if you're filming. The current is pretty strong and even though Laura said I really didn't need one it would have made filming easier. Watch my video on you tube to get an idea of what you'll be doing. divekraz1 in the search

I just returned from my trip with Buddy Dive. I can say it was the best dive trip that i have ever taken. The boat and the crew was excellent. There is not one thing that could have made my trip better. I saw everything that was on my list. I saw three whale sharks. I would go again tomorrow if i could.

My question is how does the Buddy Dive liveaboards compare to the other liveaboards serving the Gallopagos? .... Does anyone have any comments on perhaps diving at a different time of the year and benefits of that time period versus December. Do you think there are better accomadations/food/service on any of the other liveaboards serving there? I appreciate any comments as I will probably go with Buddy again around mid year if no one thinks differently. Again Thanks for any thoughts to help in the decision process.

I've dove 4 other Galapagos liveaboards (5 trips total over the years) and on my last trip I spoke to a Galapagos cruise director who was raving about the Buddy boats' cabins and set up. For vessel, I don't think you can do better. Can't speak to crew - in my experience always a critical factor in how great a Galapagos trip is - but I do know one of my two favourite Gal. cruise directors does work on the Buddy boats (along with others). I have had great experiences on other boats, but all thanks to the crew.

I personally prefer summer diving to Dec diving in Galapagos (I have done 3 Dec trips, 2 summer/whaleshark season trips). Better vis in Dec, but I like the increased whaleshark chances in the summer. That said, we had a couple whaleshark sightings early one Dec and one weaker Aug experience, but that was chance. If you've dove in Dec there already, you might find it interesting to see the diving in the summer.

Given the date of your original post; you may be travelling by now. Hope you'll let us know how it went when you get back. If you've gone twice you may visit again...

This is a liittle late but I would like to confirm the good impression of Buddy Dive in the Galapagos. I dove with them in June 2013. Boat is new, fast, very spacious (the most spacious liveaboard I have been on, cabins are the size of hotel rooms) and comfortable.

Crew was friendly and very helpfull. Food was good. Diving is well organized. Nitrox is included in the charter rate.

We and the rest of our group were originally booked on the Aggressor that ran aground a few days before our trip and were put on the Buddy boat (which luckily was available) by the Aggressor organisation. Therefore the Buddy boat followed the normal Aggressor itinerary but I understand that the Buddy itinerary is even more interesting since the boat is faster and can cover a bigger distance.

We did the Aggressor boat in 2012 and had a wonderful time. Boat, crew, diving was great. I have no reservations about going back on the Aggressor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom