Galapagos and Dive Equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jerryg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
For any of you who have traveled to the Galapagos islands. Did you take your own equipment or rent equipment. If you took your own equipment how did you manage it. I'm hearing that the flight to Galapagos from Ecuador has a 30 lb baggage weight limit. Thanks
Jerry

Good questions - I have a first time trip coming up to. And what exposure suit is needed?

I've been able to locate info on exposure suits. Seems to be 5 to 7 mm depending on your personal sensitivity. They indicate you will probably hit thermoclines with the temperature dropping to 50F.

Jerryg:
For any of you who have traveled to the Galapagos islands. Did you take your own equipment or rent equipment. If you took your own equipment how did you manage it. I'm hearing that the flight to Galapagos from Ecuador has a 30 lb baggage weight limit. Thanks
Jerry
Hi Jerry. I went to Galapagos last August. We flew Tame airlines from Quito to Baltra. You are allowed one checked bag that is weight restricted to 70lbs and you can take a carry on bag. I packed as much heavy stuff in my carry on as I could - my computers, regulators, camera, etc. I was a little over the weight limit, but the airline was pretty good about letting it slide or at worst paying 1/2 the fee.

One other option is now there is another airline that flies to Baltra. I can't remember the name, but the operator that is taking you into the islands should be able to tell you. A few members of our party flew that airline and they said they were not charged for overages at all.

Good luck and enjoy the diving, its awesome!

Kim

bubblenurse:
Hi Jerry. I went to Galapagos last August. We flew Tame airlines from Quito to Baltra. You are allowed one checked bag that is weight restricted to 70lbs and you can take a carry on bag. I packed as much heavy stuff in my carry on as I could - my computers, regulators, camera, etc. I was a little over the weight limit, but the airline was pretty good about letting it slide or at worst paying 1/2 the fee.

One other option is now there is another airline that flies to Baltra. I can't remember the name, but the operator that is taking you into the islands should be able to tell you. A few members of our party flew that airline and they said they were not charged for overages at all.

Kim

70 lbs??? That would be awesome! I have a trip scheduled for November and everybody is telling me 44 lbs checked and 16 lbs carry on.

Per Peter Hughes Diving website:
On TAME Airlines, guests can check one bag with 20 kilos (44 lbs.) per person. Guests can take a carry on bag, soft-sided, approximately 7 kilos (15-16 lbs.) and must fit into the “Carry on bag control unit” that they have at the airport. B727-100 IS 18” x 12” x 9”. B727-200 is 22” X 12” X 9”. The overweight charge is $2.90 per extra kilo each way, which works out to $1.50 per lb. one way or $3 per lb. round trip and you will be expected to pay cash. Your checked luggage will be searched prior to departure to the Galapagos Islands ; your carry on luggage will be checked upon arrival into the Galapagos Islands . At times, TAME Airlines has been lenient with checked baggage weight restrictions, but they adhere to the carry-on bag restrictions when using planes with the open overhead compartments.

Hi,Kim,
We had a great time, didn't we?
I believe we also got by with more weight because the Aggressor rep interceded in our behalf. I believe they charged us 1/2 the normal rate.
By the way, I have a Galapagos Aggressor chartered for late July, 2007.
I talked to Francisco last week.

bubblenurse:

Kim

Back
Top Bottom