Gainesville Dive Buddies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What are the easiest caves in the area? Silt, depth, restriction, current, access with backmount.

Listing experience, training level, config, who trained you, etc will probably help your case
Sorry. Full cave diver, probably a few hundred dives since I got my full cave cert about a year and a half ago. I've dove sidemount for a few years now, but am moving towards backmount doubles. The average dive I'd be looking to do would be like Little River with a stage, ~15 min deco, but I'm not limited to that sort of constraint.

I typically dive Little River, Peacock, and Cow but am open to whatever.

What are the easiest caves in the area? Silt, depth, restriction, current, access with backmount.
Get trained. Unless you're doing some article, you'll find that stuff out pretty quickly with training. Know/respect your limits, you don't know what you don't know, etc.

Til' then, here's my thoughts:
Peacock is probably the best overall for newly trained cave divers; generally you'd be looking at 20-70ft depth, so deco and gas constraints are more forgiving. Also a low flow, $4 entrance fee, and nearby gas filling. Not that I am personally snobby about it, but lots of people consider it sort of a "tourist" cave diver location. (un)Attached is a map below (removed, I don't want to directly violate copyright, but you can find a million copies out there). Loads of tunnel to explore, depending on your experience, you could spend weeks there and still not hit everything up. Access with backmount is trivial in 95% of it. And if you're into the history, it's got a ton of history with Sheck Exley and other cave diving pioneers.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom