G9 in Palau

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Geoff_H

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Well I too my new camera on my first proper dive trip, and just got back... looking through the results I see a number of improvements - forcing the G9 to f8 for most macro shots up'ed the ISO too much which has left me with some dissappointing shots.....

On the other hand I found setting the C2 function to manual focus at 10cm and forced flash with a small aperature was very convinient for quickly getting reasonable shots of small quick things that would have scurried away otherwise.

I see most G9 users have strobe(s) and an expensive housing, so hopefully this will balance out the images in this section as these are shot on a low end rig, just the Canon housing and no strobe. All the macro stuff is shot aperture-priority at F8 unless otherwise stated. the EXIF info should be preserved so you can go in and see the shutter speed/aperture/ISO settings if you are interested.

First up it's a turtle, shot in RAW and re white-balanced in Photoshop, no other post-processing

47bc80d4.jpg

Next one of my favourite critters, a baby orang-utan crab shown next to a bit of fuzz.... really impressive camoflague and thanks to Capt Mike for spotting it! This photo is just cropped

bee06755.jpg

Next the ubiquitous Nemo, this one showing his teeth, again cropped:

a37a686a.jpg

Some Barracuda at Blue Corner, f2.8, 1/100th sec at ISO 80. Manual white balanced in Photoshop from the RAW image

a20785d5.jpg

A couple of pretty flatworms (I think)

2e2e7af1.jpg

2e64863f.jpg

A Napolean Wrasse at Blue Corner, f2.8, 1/250th sec ISO-80. Again RAW and WB manually set in Photoshop.

d5fa7ba7.jpg

Back to macro, this was a sunset dive to see the mandarinfish come out to play - both these are internal flash and cropped down but with no other processing (I forgot to turn the RAW mode back on for this dive - doh)

"Bumblebee" mandarinfish

1431e630.jpg

A pretty couple

e548c5e3.jpg

Another turtle, you can't avoid them in Palau! Note the remora-type fish is in shadow as this was lit from the sun

7cc1ad95.jpg

A close encounter with a manta, these are awesome creatures

2f4e13d3.jpg

A a pretty shrimp which seemed to "float" in the water, found in a crevice in Blue Hole

91033647.jpg

Long nosed hawkfish hanging out at the base of a sea fan

bd5db01d.jpg

A couple of shots from a night dive - first an octopus and then a mean looking peacock grouper

c0db1c7e.jpg

dd3f89a5.jpg

This is just a simple natural light shot close to the surface, to give you an idea that the camera is versatile enough to shoot good photographs without flash or strobe, if you are shallow on sunny days

67155052.jpg

Oh yes, the camera works above water too... an Arch in the Rock Islands

0ea6861f.jpg

Finally I love gobies so make no apology for finishing with one sporting a funny expression :)

970f2438.jpg

Now lets try a couple of videos, hope they link up ok:

Schooling Jacks

Sharks and snappers hunting together:

Last edited:
Nice shots, especially if you're not using a strobe! I'm looking to go to Palau next year, seeing these, I want to even more!

Personally, I don't leave ISO on auto, but rather change it manually. For macro, 100, for anything wider, I'll dial it up a little if necessary.

Personally, I don't leave ISO on auto, but rather change it manually. For macro, 100, for anything wider, I'll dial it up a little if necessary.

Yep... this looks like a much smarter move now. I'll be doing the same soon!

Awesome shot of the long nose hawkfish and the school of barracudas. Great photos and videos.:wink:

Nice job, thanks for sharing. I would like to get to Palau soon!

Back
Top Bottom