G9 and wide angle capability

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scotttyd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have heard there are issues with the G10 and that you can not use true wide angle? Is this also an issue with the G9? I know the G9's are out of production, but several people have recommended them?

I have heard there are issues with the G10 and that you can not use true wide angle? Is this also an issue with the G9? I know the G9's are out of production, but several people have recommended them?

PM SFLDiver. He uses the G9 with a Patima housing, Patima short port and Inon Type II 100WAL with the matching Inon dome conversion. The Ikelite G9 housing apparently also has a short port option for wide angle threaded lenses. My understanding is that the G10 will not work. The Patima housing for the G10, ask the manufacturer, I am not certain, the Fisheye housing, has their own 15mm port and the Ikelite housing has some sort of dome conversion to allow a corrected full FOV for the native 28mm lens of 65 degrees underwater--not wide angle but better than nothing.

There is rumor that Fisheye may offer an ultra wide port. Their 15mm port is roughly 90 degree FOV underwater, their ultra wide port (rumor) is supposedly in the range of 150 degrees.

Doesn't it just suck that a Canon 570/590/720?/ Fuji F50 and Fuji F60 work with wide angle options off the shelf and the G10 does not, lol, lol, lol.

N

This is my educated bet based on measuremnts I have taken and what I know of these lenses, the Patima G10 housing has a short port option also. This requires a zoom lock. The G10 has a native 28mm lens. The thread on lenses by Inon, Epoque, Ikelite require a 35mm native lens. The G10 cannot be zoomed to mate with the lenses due to the zoom lock with the short port--therefore---important--my bet is there will be some vignetting which will require cropping out.

I am not certain, that is my bet until proven otherwise. The Inon bayonet 28AD lens most likely would work optically, but how are you going to mount it to the threaded port?

I love inflicting pain. Or, just get a nice little Canon 590, lol.

N <--The Punisher, lol

The Ikelite G9 housing apparently also has a short port option for wide angle threaded lenses. My understanding is that the G10 will not work. The Patima housing for the G10, ask the manufacturer, I am not certain, the Fisheye housing, has their own 15mm port and the Ikelite housing has some sort of dome conversion to allow a corrected full FOV for the native 28mm lens of 65 degrees underwater--not wide angle but better than nothing.

N

what would happen (or is this even possible).
Use the ikelite housing, (with option flat port), which allows you to use the 67mm threaded external lense, then use the Inon 100WAL and dome converter? Would this give you more than a 65 degree FOV

Use the ikelite housing, (with option flat port), which allows you to use the 67mm threaded external lense, then use the Inon 100WAL and dome converter? Would this give you more than a 65 degree FOV

My opinion based on the info I have been able to gather and occasionally verify is that Ikelite nor Patima make a short port option for the G10, therefore it is unlikely the 100WAL would work without severe vignetting. With the G9 they offered a short port option and as well the G10 has a 28mm native lens, the G9 I think it was still 35mm. In any case, the G10 with available housing is a poor choice for aything but close up snaps and macro type stuff.

Keep looking, I could be wrong, just I studied all this up till I got hives and broke out nad fainted.

N

If you mean the G9 with optional short port, it will work with some vignetting in the corners, resulting FOV should be in the range of 80 degrees and with the dome Iwould say, guessing, based on my unit, 115 to 120 degrees.

N

Keep looking, I could be wrong, just I studied all this up till I got hives and broke out nad fainted.

N

I am about there, too many choices, I just want to be sure I do not drop a chunk of change and then regret what I bought

I am about there, too many choices, I just want to be sure I do not drop a chunk of change and then regret what I bought

If you have the G9 and the Ikelite short port housing, my bet is it (it being used with the Inon 100WAL Type II and dome port converter) will work fine and give you the wide angle shots you are looking for. If I had figured all of this out before they dumped the G9 in favor of the stupid G10 I would probably have gotten the G9 with either Patima or Ikelite, both with the short ports. But, I will make do with the 570 until another more suitable camera comes along. The G10 is a step backward for underwater photography.

Look for some of SFLDivers threads and pics, G9 Patima with short port, lens as above and Patima, looks like a winner. For us dSLR haters there is currently no one perfect solution.

I would not entirely rule out the G10 with Patima and short port but you will need to study that up and get some real info, not internet BS. It might work with the Inon 100WAL, might but as I mentioned there are several factors that make it questionable.

N

I shoot a Patima G9 with ULCS tray and dual Inon Z-240s.

I just spoke with the guys at Reef and they assured me the best option was a UWL-100 type 1 and the dome port. I asked a bunch of times if the type-2 wasn't the right lens but they assured me the type 1 will fit and be slightly closer to the front element of the Canon, thus reducing the vignette.

I'll let you know once I try it.

Jason

I shoot a Patima G9 with ULCS tray and dual Inon Z-240s.

I just spoke with the guys at Reef and they assured me the best option was a UWL-100 type 1 and the dome port. I asked a bunch of times if the type-2 wasn't the right lens but they assured me the type 1 will fit and be slightly closer to the front element of the Canon, thus reducing the vignette.

I'll let you know once I try it.

Jason

Thanks for the info!:D

I've been using the type 2 lens with the dome port on my Patima G9 setup, and I've generally been pretty happy with the results.

However, I'm looking forward to hearing your feedback...:popcorn:

Adrian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom