G16, G7x or g1x mark ii or just get the sony rx100 iii?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RDRINK25

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
If money was not a factor but size was. What is the best option for mostly underwater photos? I have a sea & sea ds-01 already. Video is not so important as I use a gopro 4 for video.

My personal preference is the RX100 III. Plus with the new Fantasea housing that is starting to ship next week , I think it's the best bang for the buck.

I find the photos out of the RX100 III to be the sharpest and it has the best low light capability which I have seen in a compact.

If money was not a factor but size was. What is the best option for mostly underwater photos? I have a sea & sea ds-01 already. Video is not so important as I use a gopro 4 for video.

The lens of the Sony RX100 II is better for underwater photography and its true that you can save some $$ by getting it.

However, if you are considering value for money, getting the Fantasea housing and RX100 III Camera + Wide angle dome + Macro lens at about $1,750 is quite an impressive setup for this price.

The lens performance will be sufficient for most amateur photographers and the improved video is great + brighter lens which is a big advantage when shooting topside.

Bottom line , both models will be a great choice.

I would not suggest the G1X MKII the macro is still not all that great for Macro, but if you take a lot of video it is a good camera for this. The G16 is and all around great camera that takes great photos, macro, and HD video. The G16 is a bit more compact and lighter than the G1X, I cannot speak for the RX100 but have heard good things except it can be difficult to white balance at times, and some have said the feel takes sometime to get used to if you were using the Canon G series line previously due to the compactness of the Rx100. In my opinion Nauticam is the best route to go for most cameras as it has a great light weight aluminum build quality, ability to easily attach additional wet lenses.

My set up

Canon G-16 with Nauticam housing, dual Inon S-2000 strobes, Inon D-2000, i-Das arms, Inon UWL-S100 ZM80 Wide Conversion Lens, Dome Lens Unit II for UWL-S100 ZM80, UCL-100M67 Close up lens

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom