G15 or .... ?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
i really need help deciding which canon camera to buy for my first job as an UW photographer ,i was told the g15 with ikelite housing is pretty good for work, it's fast reliable and affordable ,but it's 12megapixel soooo that's why i'm hesitating whether to buy it or not, also a friend suggested canon 100d but then i won't be able to afford stropes for it , is there a better and affordable canon ?

Last edited:
You can buy them used much cheaper than that.

You can buy them used much cheaper than that.
well my problem is not the price it's more that i don't want to make a mistake when buying my first UW camera
clear.png

I'm using a G16 in the Ikelite TTL housing with the DS51 wired strobe and a Sola1200 for video/focus. I quite love the camera & housing & lights.

Ah. Any of the Canons, then. The G16 is just wonderful for macro shooting.

My work is gonna be mostly intros so photos will be in shallow water ,i'm just asking if the g15's 12 megapixels is good UW and outside ?

mostly intros ...12 megapixels

If the people who market cameras sold meat they'd have spent millions of dollars trying to convince you that a 4 oz McDonald's quarter pounder is a better piece of meat than a 3 oz filet mignon.

"Mostly intros" meaning you're going to take pictures to sell to students doing DSD's? What percentage of them do you suppose will do anything more than look at them on a computer, or possibly a TV? Even if it's a new (and really expensive) 4K TV it can't display all of a 12MP image, because the TV has a lower resolution than a 12MP camera. It's 3840 x 2160 on the TV vs 4000 x 3000 for the camera. Even if somebody makes a 16x20 print, it will still be 200dpi. Good eyesight may let you see individual pixels if you get really close, but for hanging on a wall the quality of the printing will be more important than the number of pixels.

A 15 to 20 MP camera might be better, but it will be based on the size and quality of the sensor, and other things, rather than just the fact that there are more pixels.

All that said, look at the total cost before making a decision. You'll pay the same amount for an Ikelite housing whether you get a G16 or a G7X (there's also a sync cord TTL version for the G16 at +$200), and the strobe(s) will be the same regardless of which camera you get. To a large extent, any upgrade that's still point & shoot will only increase the cost of the camera. The G7X will get you 24mm at the wide end vs 28mm for the G16, and the 1.67x as many pixels will come from a sensor that's almost 3x as big.

As soon as you go dSLR you'll pay a lot more for a housing, so even a modest dSLR starts to get expensive for UW. Unless you're truly serious about the UW photography you'll do I think P&S is a good place to stay regardless of the price.

Back
Top Bottom