FWC reminds boaters to boat smart, safely

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Chairman

Chairman of the Board
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
:fwc:
For immediate release: May 16, 2012

Media ride-alongs and local contacts:
Pensacola/Panama City: Stan Kirkland, 850-265-3676
Jacksonville: Karen Parker, 386-758-0525
Daytona/Titusville: Officer Lenny Salberg, 352-427-6728
Tampa/Ft. Myers: Gary Morse, 863-227-3830 or Officer Rob Scholl, 813-272-3840
West Palm Beach: Carli Segelson, 772-215-9459
Miami: Officer Jorge Pino, 561-723-1417
Florida Keys: Officer Bobby Dube, 305-684-8703

FWC reminds boaters to boat smart, safely

Because Memorial Day weekend, which kicks off summer activities, is right around the corner, the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) reminds all boaters in Florida to rededicate themselves to boating safely.
“Florida is a great place to enjoy boating year-round,” said Col. Jim Brown, director of the FWC’s Division of Law Enforcement. “That weekend marks the unofficial beginning of summer and means even more people will be out on the water. National Safe Boating Week (May 19-25) also presents an opportunity to emphasize the importance of remaining safe while boating.”
Memorial Day weekend is May 26-28.
The safe-boating effort is timely, as 10 people have already lost their lives this year due to boating accidents.
“We want to reach out to as many boaters as we can to help them understand that most boating accidents are preventable,” Brown said. “FWC officers are committed to keeping people as safe as possible, but we need your help.”
The FWC reminds boaters to enjoy their time on the water by remembering a few safety precautions, such as remaining alert while operating a boat, wearing a life jacket at all times and designating a sober boat operator.
According to the FWC, inattentiveness of the operator often contributes to boating accidents, and statistics show that more than 64 percent of the 66 boating-related deaths confirmed last year were attributed to drowning.
The wide variety of comfortable, affordable and stylish life jackets on the market today offers all boaters the protection they need.
“Boating smart and safely could result in fewer injuries and deaths each year,” Brown said.
More information can be found by visiting MyFWC.com/Boating.
-30-
MKP/DLE
WBD/SCB

A waste of time I'm afraid. Responsible boaters don't need a reminder. The googans, cowboys and yahoos don't pay any attention to them.

A waste of time I'm afraid. Responsible boaters don't need a reminder. The googans, cowboys and yahoos don't pay any attention to them.

Yep... only my two neighbors on either side one is FWC and the other a Coastie. Both tell me that they will be out "in force" along with the county water mounties. Drinking and boating is illegal.. despite the comment about a designated boat driver. Open containers are illegal, as are kids under 10 with no life jackets on... Memorial Day and 4th of July weekends are amateur hour. I refuse to leave the slip.

In Sydney, the days we never take our boat out are the day after Christmas Day and Australia Day (26 January - like 4th July). These are the days that all the people who never use their boats come out in force. Not worth our trouble as when we want to get the boat out of the water, it can sometimes take more than an hour due to the numbers and uselessness of these people.

After being on the water this past memorial day weekend, I suggest the FWC start their enforcement of boating rules and regs with the commercial dive boats in S. FL. I saw boats with the 24" boat flag stuck in the transom, and not visible if you approached the bow of the vessel. I saw commercial dive boats at full speed weaving in and out of their own divers (so much the idle speed within 100 yards of a flag). I saw divers from a commercial boat in the water with no flag. Just shot a green sausage as a marker when surfacing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep... only my two neighbors on either side one is FWC and the other a Coastie. Both tell me that they will be out "in force" along with the county water mounties. Drinking and boating is illegal.. despite the comment about a designated boat driver. Open containers are illegal, as are kids under 10 with no life jackets on... Memorial Day and 4th of July weekends are amateur hour. I refuse to leave the slip.

There is no open container law
http://myfwc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2403/~/consuming-alcohol-on-a-boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom