FW v.s. SW trimming

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sailor612

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I know the characteristics of buoyancy in SW v.s. FW, but does adjusting trim in FW changes its trim effects in SW (in any noticable way)? Are you going to be more head heavy in freshwater if your trim is adjusted to the way you like it in saltwater diving? (or the opposite effect if you go from good FW trim to a SW dive)

If you use the same equipment, wetsuit, etc., and the same amount of weight in fresh water as you have trimmed out in salt, your trim characteristics should be the same for all practical purposes. But you'll be a bit over-weighted in fresh water.

If you drop the approximate 3% weight differential between salt and fresh, it can be hard to drop it evenly. For this reason, I trim out separately in fresh and salt.

It probably goes without saying, since this is the Advanced Scuba Discussions forum, that the 3% is 3% of total weight (your body weight, plus all your kit). There, I said it anyway, demonstrating yet again my amazing grasp of the obvious.

The weight needed changes...that's all! How you take the weight off (or put it on affects trim of course).

(edit:Knotical is a faster typer!)

Your right...that makes sense! Didn't think completely about removing weight w/o adjusting weight of trim to compensate for "head vs feet" weight differences!! :dork2:

The thing i'm trying to do is figure out trimming for my BP/W. When I dive w/ 2 piece 3mm wetsuit I dive 10 additional pounds and i'm perfectly neutral at depth w/o putting any air in my wing. When I dive with only the jacket section of my suit I use 6 lbs to be neutral.
I do not like diving with a wetsuit here in FL during the summers, but I haven't dove my BP/W without atleast a half suit yet!

I'm a little feet heavy, so i'm thinking about putting either (2) 2lbs on my tank strap or (2) 1lbs. And wearing the additional needed weight on my belt. I was just trying to figure out wether I should go with 2 pounders or 1 pounders for trim.
I think if I went with 2 pounders then I won't need additional weight during "no wetsuit" dives.

Any thoughts or ideas?

The thing i'm trying to do is figure out trimming for my BP/W. When I dive w/ 2 piece 3mm wetsuit I dive 10 additional pounds and i'm perfectly neutral at depth w/o putting any air in my wing.
From the sound of this you're neutral without air in your wing at the beginning of your dive. You should be neutral with no air in your wing with little or no air in your tanks at the end. Try taking a pound or two off your waist. Or I may just be reading this wrong.

From the sound of this you're neutral without air in your wing at the beginning of your dive. You should be neutral with no air in your wing with little or no air in your tanks at the end. Try taking a pound or two off your waist. Or I may just be reading this wrong.

I still require 10lbs with my 2 piece on to become neutral. I was planning on taking a few lbs off my waist and shifting them up to my tank strap to gain better trim...but just didn't know if i should take a total of 4 lbs (2-2lb weights) or a total of 2lbs (2-1lb) weights, to shift up as trim weight

Six of one, half dozen of the other.

But I'd opt for shifting it in small increments.

the K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom