Future BCD choice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

6-1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking at purchasing a Mares Dragon AT BC. If in the future I wish to use this BC as a Dive Master/Instructor, will the lack of a traditional low air inflator be a problem?

I just looked it up on Liesure Pro. What exactly is is lacking?

Dragon AT (air trim) lacks the oral inflator hose coming off the shoulder.

Ah, I see, the one that I looked up was just the Dragon.

I guess if there is no way to orally inflate it, you would be unable to demonstrate that to a student. It's a deal breaker for any agency which requires such a demonstration.

It has an oral inflator. It's stored away inside a pocket.

Ive seen them used. But i dont really like them for teaching. You cant demo hose elevation, hard to show things like inflate,deflate buttons for fin pivot,hovers. Oral inflate is completely different and so on.

If you do get one borrow a "normal" jacket for teaching would be my recommendation.

Mares do have a habit of creating equipment to solve problems that dont exist.

as a dm or inst you will need more than one bcd for a class i recomend a jacket bcd so you as a new inst don't push on the student when you face to face this can happen with a back inflatedand make the student feel uncomfortable . if your a dm then a back inflated is good so you can set the example of great trim for your new divers that will mimic you. as for your personal diving dive what you like sorry for the spelling

Dont agree with any of the above. A back inflate isnt going to to push a student forward at all. Neither does it make horizontal trim any easier.
Those aren't reasons at all.

i had a mares dragon without the air trim. dove it for three dives, and sold it on craigslist 4 days later for $300!

i now dive a bp/w and like it alot more.

If you want to be a DM in the future, i would recommend looking into the brand the shop your eyeing uses. sometimes its a requirement to use what they sell/push

zeagle makes a great product...ie ranger or ranger ltd 2008, which can be picked up for a heck of a deal at zeagleexpress.com

brett

Looking at purchasing a Mares Dragon AT BC. If in the future I wish to use this BC as a Dive Master/Instructor, will the lack of a traditional low air inflator be a problem?

An inflator hose can be added to any Mares AT BC. Just unscrew the left shoulder valve and screw on the inflator hose. My LDS does it all the time when we run low on BC's for class.

I have an old Dragonfly AT BC that is 8 years old and is still in great shape. It is a combination jacket & back inflate BC.

Back
Top Bottom