Fusion Tech Skin Pockets - Good Replacement Pockets Found

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

djcheburashka

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After a great deal of hunting, I found pockets that perform much better than the whites pockets and attach well to the fusion tech skin.

The ones I used are these, from deepseasupply.com: https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=122

They're available with a neoprene back, which gives them a good (but not huge) amount of stretch.

I brought them to a tailor to attach them. The neoprene back sticks out about an inch past the pocket, and the tailor trimmed that down to a half inch. Then he marked them and the suit while I tried it on, and then sewed it by hand with a V shaped stitch.

The end result is that the pockets are big enough to put things in and be usefull, but they fold in pretty far when empty so they're pretty streamlined. They are heavier, so they do magnify (slightly, when empty) the MC Hammer effect. But I found it to not be such a big deal.

It would still be nice to find a way to get the crotch on the tech skin to stay up, but one step at a time...

It would still be nice to find a way to get the crotch on the tech skin to stay up, but one step at a time...

Nice to know I'm not the only one who needs to hold on to the Tech skin as I'm walking around between dives. Otherwise, it stretches pretty much all the way down to my ankles if there's stuff in the pockets, and the P-valve cutout slips off the P-valve. Not very elegant!! Almost seems like the Tech skin would need its own suspenders...

I also find the pockets to be a pain compared to the ones on my CF200X. They're too mushy and it's hard to know for sure whether they're open or (properly) closed. I lost a couple of ping pong balls despite their being closed on a recent Deep Diver class.

Phil

The more I read about the tech skin and pockets, the happier I am that I decided to stay with X-shorts.

I'm not so sure, Lynne. Did my first dive with the suit (tech skin and x-shorts) on Monday evening, and by the time I came out of the water I looked like a teen-ager wearing low-riders.

Spent last evening fashioning a belt out of a 1" nylon strap with cam buckle for the X-shorts. You and I will be diving together in a few hours, so you'll get to see if it works.

I also realized I needed to cut a hole in the left leg of the x-shorts to accommodate the p-valve, but that was no biggie ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I'm not so sure, Lynne. Did my first dive with the suit (tech skin and x-shorts) on Monday evening, and by the time I came out of the water I looked like a teen-ager wearing low-riders.

Spent last evening fashioning a belt out of a 1" nylon strap with cam buckle for the X-shorts. You and I will be diving together in a few hours, so you'll get to see if it works.

I also realized I needed to cut a hole in the left leg of the x-shorts to accommodate the p-valve, but that was no biggie ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
maybe you just need a butt. :wink:

Hmmm...Jeff has been looking at Bob's butt...Interesting!

Back on Topic...Lynne, are you happy with the x-shorts?? I just have the normal skin, so right now I have No pockets. I was thinking about getting some shorts. Seems to be the easiest solution to me.

Back on Topic...Lynne, are you happy with the x-shorts?? I just have the normal skin, so right now I have No pockets. I was thinking about getting some shorts. Seems to be the easiest solution to me.

I use X-Shorts with my wetsuits and Suzanne uses them on her Bare Next Gen. They work good...if you have a butt. :wink:

I use X-Shorts with my wetsuits and Suzanne uses them on her Bare Next Gen. They work good...if you have a butt. :wink:

Well then...I guess I'm MORE than sufficiently equipped then!! :mooner:

I have some to spare, perhaps I can donate to Bob!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom