Fusion Tech/Halcyon Exploration pockets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pullmyfinger

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I decided the factory pockets on my Fusion Tech had to go! They were just to small.
I wanted pockets that would allow me to carry spools, SMB, wet notes, and a spare mask with room to spare.
The factory pockets would hold all of these items, but it was a tight fit.

I just marked the outline of the original pockets, and used that to locate the new ones.

I've installed pockets before, some I've glued, and some I've sewed on. I decided to sew these on.
Sewing them by hand is kind of a hassle, but I figured I would get a better result.

I wanted to post some pictures in case anyone else is considering doing the same thing. pocket comparison.jpgHalcyon pockets.jpg

Attachments

• Halcyon pocket.jpg
    Halcyon pocket.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 397
Nice job!

I hate my Tech Skin LE pockets too. Mostly because I have a yard sale when swimming hard, and I can't feel the flap with my drygloves on. I have a pair of XS scuba pockets which I have used in the past and although smaller than the Halcyon seem to hold the gear I want to carry. Unfortunately that project is behind a few other more prominent ones.

Those XS Scuba pockets are very good. A couple of my buddies have them, they have plenty of room.
I hear ya on the projects...sewing pockets sucks! :)
I kind of forced myself to sit down and get it done!

-Mitch

I've been thinking about trying to install some kind of stiffener on the edges of the Tech skin pockets -- I manage to stuff everything in them that I want in them, but you're right . . . you can't feel the flaps in dry gloves, and that's a PITA.

Lynne, does your stuff fall out of your pocket when swimming? I find when surface swimming the pockets are flexible enough to let my whistle, car key, Dive Alert, etc. fall right out. Fortunately they are clipped off or I would lose them.

One more gripe with the OE pockets: They hang up on kelp. With my past drysuits, using stiffer pockets, I never had that problem and could slam through skinny kelp on my scooter never hanging up on my pockets.

I think this project is going to have to go further up the list. I just threw my pockets onto the sewing machine.

Mitch, I sure hope you used a thimble while sewing...or ouch! Question, did you stretch the skin out as you sewed or?

Peter,
I did use a thimble. You are right, you have to have one.
I stretched the neoprene and pinned the pocket in place, before sewing.
I used a heavy weight, waxed thread.

Thanks! I plan to chuck up a number 18 needle and use a heavy nylon thread. I will take your advice and stretch the skin before sewing.

I haven't had anything fall out of the pockets, although I have to admit that my small stuff (whistle and DiveAlert) is all clipped together with my roll-up snorkel, so there's that bulk to keep the small items from leaving. I just have problems getting into the pocket, and a LOT of trouble getting stuff back in, because I can't feel whether the flap is in the way or not. Getting stuff back in the pockets in dry gloves really becomes a buddy sport.

Interesting, my bullet skin, I've never lost anything, and while its not easy, I can get stuff in and out, even with heavy dry gloves on.

I actually just bought a 2nd Fusion(600$, 20 dives), came with a sport skin, man those things are light! Will use it as a backup suit, or travel suit. Got a spare bullet skin for it on sale.

Back
Top Bottom