Fusion One versus Fusion Sport

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

foglesre

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm looking for some quick feedback as I try to make a decision on which DRIS bargain to take advantage of.

The Fusion One package with Mk2 undergarment and boots is such an incredible deal at $1000. Basically you're getting the suit for $600! For another $200, DRIS can install the SLT wrist seals. But unfortunately, the positioning of the back zipper makes it impossible to install the Necktite system. This more than anything is holding me back from pulling the trigger on this deal today. On the upside, the zipper, if I ever need it replaced, could be replaced with a TiZip, making what sounds to be an incredibly comfortable drysuit even more so. I also dig the upgraded materials on the skin, like Gatortech knees.

The Fusion Sport is of course tried and true. I test dove it a few years back. Aside from a much too big neck seal in the demo units (I think this is before they switched to cone seals), it really did dive like a wetsuit. Besides the SLT neck seal, the other big selling point is ability to change skins if the need arose. I have a pair of X-shorts if I need pockets if I ever cave dive again (those days may be behind me, though I hope they aren't), but I like to have the option to out on a Tech skin. The front is nice, but I don't consider it a game changer for my use.

I suspect the general advice will be, you can't go wrong with either. Perhaps, the feedback I'm looking for is, for those of you that have the Necktite system, would you ever buy a drysuit that could not have it installed? Would you pay $600 for it (effectively the difference in price between the two suits), considering the current deals?

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Bob

FWIW some people here on SB report that the Neck Tite system reduces mobility and some report it's uncomfortable. I was going to have it installed on a Santi suit but was advised against it by Santi due to the apparent reduction in flexibility on the suit I had chosen. The dealer over here also said due to my size, I'm small, that my harness would rest on the ring and also that it would be uncomfortable. Hopefully a first hander will chime in.

FWIW some people here on SB report that the Neck Tite system reduces mobility and some report it's uncomfortable

I have the neck seal installed on my Fusion Bullet and I haven't seen a reduction of mobility with it. The only downside is if you get your straps (I have a wing and a DUI weight harness) over the seal while walking to the entry. Once in the water everything adjusts. One of my buddys' has a bit of an issue pulling it over his nose. I heard that Si-Tech demo'd a more flexible seal at DEMA. I love the silicon seals and hopefully would never have to go back to latex.

As far as foglesre question, it is a hard one. I like the fusion Bullet/sport (I have both) is the front zip. I can zip it without a buddy. I don't know how many times I've heard the horror stories where the DB didn't pull the zipper that last little bit and the diver ended up with a wet dive. It all boils down to money though. The Fusion Sport is an excellent drysuit and I'm sure the One is the same.

FWIW some people here on SB report that the Neck Tite system reduces mobility and some report it's uncomfortable. I was going to have it installed on a Santi suit but was advised against it by Santi due to the apparent reduction in flexibility on the suit I had chosen. The dealer over here also said due to my size, I'm small, that my harness would rest on the ring and also that it would be uncomfortable. Hopefully a first hander will chime in.

Before my Fusion Essence (the female anatomy friendly version of the Fusion One) arrived, I wore several different rental Fusion suits, some with the necktite system. I personally did not like it at all. With gear on out of the water, I could feel the ring digging into the back of my neck, and it did reduce my mobility. It was fine in the water, but just generally uncomfortable for me out of the water. I have a friend who broke his collarbone years ago who had reported that wearing a suit with the neck ring is incredibly painful for him out of the water because of how it sits on his collarbone. But I also know plenty of people who have it and love it. I'm not sure there's a way to know if it will be comfortable for any individual without trying it.

Great insights.

For reference, I'm 6'1" and 170 lbs. I can imagine that with my fairly boney collar bone if the ring pressed into my collar bone it would be fairly uncomfortable. On the other hand, I have reasonably broad shoulders so there should be room for my harness straps to nest down in between the ring and zipper.

Being fairly thin and tendony though, silicone may offer particular value on sealing. As a suggested above, I would certainly upgrade the wrists on the Fusion one to the SLT seals for either silicone or bottle seals.

Also, I'm pretty flexible. Some folks say they can zip their own backzip wetsuit. I expect that I should be able to, but either way, I don't think that's as deal breaker.

Anyone from Houston know if there are any major Whites dealers around? Houston is not a major drysuit area...

Last edited:
Dealer Finder Whites Diving - Whites Diving

Whites dealer finder shows 16 dealers in Texas. You may even get a good price at one. Maybe they can give you a free drysuit course.

That's a good point. My shop offers free drysuit courses for anyone buying a drysuit from us. I guess if you are going to spend that kind of money with us we should probably teach you how to use it for free.

I think that if you can fit the SLT system it is worth the extra money. The Fusion Sport with the free SLT gives you a lot of options (changing seals at a dive site, changing skins, self entry) that is worth the extra money. If you keep the suit long enough it is a good investment.

One of the reasons I am looking at a new drysuit it to get away from a back entry.

I think that if you can fit the SLT system it is worth the extra money. The Fusion Sport with the free SLT gives you a lot of options (changing seals at a dive site, changing skins, self entry) that is worth the extra money. If you keep the suit long enough it is a good investment.

That seems like a pretty good summary. I have no doubt that I'd be happy with the Sport, but there's potential I may have regret with the One.

I saw a movie once where the main character said "where there is doubt, there is no doubt".

I use this sometimes to decide what to do. I also know that I never regret spending a little more money but I often have regretted NOT spending a little more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom