Furthe to Dr. Frankenmule's question on one or two tank wings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Henry

Contributor
Reaction score
North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
# of dives
I currently use a Seaquest Raider BC in medium, which gives me a 50 lb lift. I dive in cold water with drysuit and currently only go to 100 feet.

I just bought two PST E series 120 steel tanks. I plan to use them as singles for now but will twin them later.

I know that the Raider will accomudate the twins no problem and currently it takes the aluminum singles (obviously). I don't have enough experience to notice trim difference or if the bladder is "taco'd" around the single tank has any effects on me. I don't have problems swiming or trim issues.

My future plans is to dive more wrecks and take the wreck course and the tri-mix course next.

One of the instructor at the dive shop (he is also the tech guru there) told me that if money is not really a concern, I should consider dedicating a BC to the twins and buy another BC that will only handle one tank.

His reasoning was, the twin tank and larger capaciity BC is dedicated tech gear. It never comes apart and hence no wear and tear on any parts gets rebolted or hoses re-installed or worse yet, screwing up my configuration from dive to dive.

The single tank BC will be used to dive just recreationally with buddies who are also diving single tanks. That way I don't have to convert back and forth between single and twin set up.

So....my question is.....

I would consider a Halcyon BC, but should I get a single tank configuration from Halcyon and convert my Raider to twin set up? Or should I get a twin tank set up from Halcyon and keep my Raider as a single tank set up.

I know that the Halcyon is more low profile with less crap hanging off it (ie. no big pockets), hence wreck diving would be better. I also know that the large lift on the Raider for a single tank is a bit of overkill. But other then that...opinions please.

I hope this is still a DIR question. Thanks in advance.

Henry

Henry:
I would consider a Halcyon BC, but should I get a single tank configuration from Halcyon and convert my Raider to twin set up? Or should I get a twin tank set up from Halcyon and keep my Raider as a single tank set up.

... I would get rid of Raider and buy backplate, harnes and two wings (one for single tank other for twins) with optimal lift and design for each purpose.

Ditto what MonkSeal said, absolutely the best course of action because then you will be diving the same harness each time (i.e. you'll clip your SPG off in the same place and your inflator will be the same and in the same location).

Ben

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom