Furry Creek?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

r2t

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Found a thread on fury creek dive. Anyone have any more info on it? Is it worth my time to check it out?

Thanks Ron

I've dove Furry Creek a couple of times. It's a good dive. There is a wall there with a bottom of 100-110 feet (the bottom does continue to slope down). On the return, in the bay, you can find bottles, tea cups, etc.

Cheers,
Bill.

Can you give me a little more info on where to go and how to find the wall? Parking?

Thanks
Ron

its an ok dive, worthwhile if you are getting tired of the usual suspects up howe sound... Its been a few years since I've been there (no longer live in Van). We would head down to the end of the cul-de-sac at the beach and park as out of the way as we could. Gear up and head into the water. You might want to surface swim a way to the right since the wall is a bit of a swim. the rest is described by lightning fish above.

I like diving Furry Creek. What my buddy and I usually do, is park in the parking lot, since the cul-de-sac is a no parking zone. The lot isn't that much farther away anyway. And it IS a residential area, so we want to keep the residents happy.

We usually surface swim out to the buoy, descend there, and head out. The wall is to your right slightly, so head out and a bit to your right...you'll pass a bunch of rocks, and a bottle dump, and eventually you will hit the wall. There are a couple octopus that live at Furry...one of them is far far away, about 100ft on the wall, in a crack at the corner. You can't really miss the corner...but you may not make it to the corner before you hit half air. It's REALLY far away. (I am not even sure if he is still out there...I've only gone to see him once, and that was a while back...). There are others that hang out under the rocks by all of the bottles.

S. Starfish is better at directions than I am though, so perhaps he can give a better description of how to get to the wall. I'll send him on over to this thread.

Furry Creek is a nice dive, I'd do it way more often if it wasn't so far away.

Anyway, getting to the dive site is fairly straight forward, head north on the highway 99, take the exit to furry creek (it's shortly after porteu) and follow the signs to Olivers Landing. Once you cross the train tracks turn right and you're pretty much there. Usually when we go there we unload our gear and set up in the cul-de-sac and then go park in the parking lot. Keep the locals happy and all that. Last time I was there I was diving doubles, so I didn't bother with the cul-de-sac and just set up in the parking lot, the walk isn't too bad, easier than whytecliff by a factor of about one million.

The entry can be a little gross, there is a walkway/bike path that runs along the waters edge, somewhere along there there are some small stone steps that make things easier. I"m not totally sure where they are and have to look for them each time, but they're not far off.

As for finding the wall, what we normally do is swim out to a mooring buoy (an orange tire if I recall correctly), which is roughly north west of where you enter the water. You don't have to descend down here, but we usually do as viz can sometimes be quite crap in the shallow areas. It can also be really nice, you never know. From there on it's quite a swim to the wall. By quite a swim I mean a really freaking long one. The bottom is pretty flat and largely featureless to begin with, so use a compass and head in a general northish direction. Eventually you'll start coming across some boulders, then a bottle dump with some bones in it, a large rock that tricks you into thinking you've found the wall and then finally the wall. There is really no point in descending deeper then 30ft or so before you find the wall, you'll just be burning through your air and no deco time looking at the mud.

The wall itself is quite nice, there are some decent sponges by howe sound standards for the 100ft range, I've found octos, squid, sail fin sculpins and a variety of other things there. AS cream of wheat said, there is, or at least used to be a good size octopus/den on the far end of the wall at around 100ft. Its pretty far off and you really have to haul ass to get there.
There are some nice rock piles at around 70ft directly in front of the houses, pulmose anenomies, sea cucumbers, crabs and all that. Watch out for boats.

As far as current goes I've never experienced much, but a bit of current in low viz on the flat, featureless sandy bit can be quite disorienting.

Hopefully that's all the info you could ever want, but if you have any questions feel free to ask.

That's a great review, if I can't find it with that description I got know business being there.

Cheers
Ron L.

I'm going up to Alice Lake camping on the July long weekend. Will be doing a dive at fury creek on the Sunday 29 or Monday the 30 if anyone is interested in doing a dive there, send me a pm and we can try and set something up.

Cheers
Ron L.

Just a site up date, there is 4 bouys there now. Dove Furry on the weekend, June 8/08. Go past the one on the right a little bit then drop in. Like, mentioned hold 30 feet till you hit the wall then drop down. It is not that far from this bouy.

The large octo is still there. north end of the wall at around 80 feet low tide. There is a large vertical crevis, search it thoroughly, it took two of us to find the octo.

When you swim back to shore, hold about 30-40 feet depending on the tide and after you cross a sandy slope, you will hit some rocks that goes for a stretch. Lots of neat stuff in here as well as some octos. As a reference, this is where the other bouys are attached on the bottom.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom