Funny whistle breathing from long hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

looka

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hello,

When I breathe from my long hose (7'), I hear an annoying high-pitch sound, like a whistle. My primary is an Apeks DS4 (new, just bought).
I tried to change hose (swapped with a buddy) and change sec reg, the sound is still there and it annoys my buddy too. If I breathe from a short hose, no sound at all.

Does anyone have experience with this?

Thank you very much

Luca

If you are breathing it above water sometimes the diaphragm vibrates and causes the honking noise.

Put into water, purge and try again. Should be fine.

If you are breathing it above water sometimes the diaphragm vibrates and causes the honking noise.

Put into water, purge and try again. Should be fine.

Nope. Whole dives like that, I have done everything to it. The sound is a bit like squeaky chalk on a blackboard...

High pitch and does the 2nd stage vibrate a bit as you inhale? What is your 2nd stage reg pls?

I don't know what would make a difference between the two lenghts. Have you tried the short hose on the same port you ge the noise with the long hose?

Reactions: Jax
High pitch and does the 2nd stage vibrate a bit as you inhale? What is your 2nd stage reg pls?
Second stage is Apeks, new from the same set. Model name XTX20. It's not the typical vibration of the membrane, it's a smooth high-pitch whistle.

---------- Post Merged at 10:51 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:47 PM ----------

I don't know what would make a difference between the two lenghts. Have you tried the short hose on the same port you ge the noise with the long hose?
Yes. Long hose -> whistle. Short hose -> no sound. Different hose of the same length -> sound is back. I have not tried changing port.

That's what I would try first, the length of the hose should not matter.

Second stage is Apeks, new from the same set. Model name XTX20. It's not the typical vibration of the membrane, it's a smooth high-pitch whistle.

---------- Post Merged at 10:51 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:47 PM ----------

Yes. Long hose -> whistle. Short hose -> no sound. Different hose of the same length -> sound is back. I have not tried changing port.

Very strange indeed, I've never experienced that at all so I'll have to ask my friend who services my reg for some advice.

Generally speaking when you get that kind of resonance in a hose, it suggests a vibration in the first stage. That's usually caused by inadequate lubrication of a dynamic o-ring, such as the o-ring in the high pressure seat carrier, or in some rare cases a mis-installed, incorrect or missing spring. I'd take it back in and have your tech (or in this case, a better tech) look at it.

Back
Top Bottom