Funny Underwater Hand Signals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Touching your head with both hands (looks like you're signing the medium sized OK with both arms) to call someone a ****head. Or maybe just a **** depending on the context.

Hold one hand as if you have a hot dog or burrito in it. Now move the hot dog towards and away from your mouth several times. You're signing this sucks. Point to somebody first for a variation on the theme.

Perhaps I shouldn't follow the previous with this one, but pointing and then making a motion like eating cereal to indicate you want to eat that. (My buddy in Florida and I always get a craving for seafood, so we work out the menu underwater. Grouper or lobster?)

With that same buddy, we have a facial expression that means "Was that the dumbest thing you've ever seen somebody do? Let's get away from them by swimming this way. I hope they aren't on our boat."

Does anyone have a sign for
I forgot my drysuit underwear?
I thought you had the boat keys!
Pardon me while I .

diver 85:
(probably an old one)On Roatan, we use this one for a nurse shark: put one hand under each boob & shake(them) a little, of course add the straight hand pointing forward between your eyes to complete the shark part of it....

That reminds me of the the time we had a dive briefing by a Dive Master in Jamacia.

He said the sign for shark was one hand above the head like a fin.
The sign for Lobsters were two fingers point out from forhead like antenna.
The sign for 'crabs' was scratching/itching his groin. :rofl3:

Wiping forehead in a horizontal motion (like a sign of relief) while hanging on at deco stop indicates urine coming downstream your way.

Drewski:
Make an "OK" sign with one hand. Bring the index finger on the other hand up to the "O" and wiggle back and forth as you look at someone through the "O".

Translation: Come here, :mooner: hole! :D

Similar to that, but used the index finger to trace around the inside of the "O" to indicate the same thing without the "come here" portion.

Darin:

Thank you! Thank you!

I think what really makes it work was the politeness of it. Pardon me, but would you have any Grey Poupon? :D

A hand made to look like the letter C for "Cool"
Make it with both arms for "Really Cool"

Don't feel dumb. In fact, feel blessed that you don't know...really.

I'm reminded of a small strip cartoon on EXACTLY this subject that was printed in MAD Magazine sometime back in the early 70's... the one that sticks most was a two pane cartoon... on one side it showed a diver with his hands together and along side his head in a "sleeply" mode... eyes looking up... the caption read "RAPTURE OF THE DEEP"...

... the next frame showed the diver clutching (with both hands) the "groinicalogical" area, knees bent together... eyes bugged out... caption read, "RUPTURE OF THE DEEP"...

... kinda' sad what stays with ya' over the years ain't it?

Make the turkey sign as described before, Move the sign down and to the right = Turkey diver.

Make the turkey diver sign with the thumb pointing towards your outspread hand = Turkey diver with his/her head up his/her a@!.

LDS owner used a funny hand signal, which he apparently meant to mean "don't get between me and the tourists." Two fists together, pinkys up, move fists apart. I have no idea how I was supposed to get the message from that. I thought he meant we were splitting up, which we ended up doing anyway.

Back
Top Bottom